Job Summary and Mission
Are you interested in being part of the team that shapes future retail solutions used in Starbucks Coffee Stores across the globe? Would you like to be part of team that is the foundation for millions of interactions a day? Does helping define a premium retail experience interest you?
This position contributes to Starbucks success by managing a portion of the Retail System Technology portfolio and by leading high performing, cross-functional work teams on Starbucks Technology program planning and project delivery. As a program manager, you will focus on the overall success of the program you manage by driving program planning efforts and leading projects ranging from basic platform enhancements to complex product implementations and upgrades. This role operates at tactical level and requires close partnership with IT and business stakeholders, collaboration on program planning, project planning and execution, and project delivery.
Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees tactical planning and day-to-day management of programs in the Retail Systems Technology portfolio.
- Collaborates with IT and business leadership on annual strategic planning for the program.
- In partnership with the program portfolio manager, engages stakeholders on project ideation and assists in the creation of business cases and return on investment assessments.
- Develops a deep understanding of projects within the program and the broader IT portfolio; manages assigned projects with a clear understanding of business and IT context, and develops a deep understanding of cross-program portfolio synergies and dependencies.
- Ensures alignment of proposed projects with the program roadmap and its goals, and manages project planning and execution accordingly.
- Drives complex, cross-functional enterprise projects, leading multiple efforts within a specific program simultaneously, with complexity as a limiting factor.
- Leads high performing, cross-functional, often globally distributed teams.
- Works independently, without the need for day-to-day guidance.
- Serves as a project manager for initiatives within the program.
- Performs core project management duties, including guiding the project through formal approval and funding gates; developing a project plan that includes a detailed budget, project timeline, detailed task-driven schedule, project RACI and resource plan, and communication plan; and managing project execution from analysis/design through build, test, and deployment.
- When leading an Agile project, partners closely with the product manager, scrum master and product owner on all activities.
- Ensures that program and project status reports and quarterly updates are relevant, transparent, and add value.
- Partners with relevant IT and business hiring managers to ensure that the project has the skillsets and the resources required for delivery.
Summary of Experience
- Minimum of three years' experience as a senior project manager in IT or a software development setting; must have at least five years overall experience working in IT or a software development setting.
- Experience using Agile methods and working on complex, integrated platforms required.
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration, or Management preferred.
- PMP, PgMP, and Scrum Master Certifications are a plus.
- Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities.
Leadership and Communication:
- Leads by example – with confidence, a positive attitude, patience, honesty and integrity, and a strong sense of commitment.
- Ability to ‘read the room', to know what is possible and what is not, and to know how to navigate strategic planning discussions and agile ceremonies efficiently and effectively.
- Deeply collaborative leadership style.
- Ability to engage in difficult conversations that result in positive, actionable outcomes.
- Ability to navigate complex and diverse landscapes effectively.
- Seeks and provides honest, transparent feedback.
- Ability to build and lead high-performing project teams.
- Ability to set expectations and hold individuals and team members accountable to their commitments.
- Drives decision-making that favours compromise and alignment over consensus-building.
- Good facilitation skills; ability to adapt approach to different types of engagements.
- Good written and verbal communication.
Acumen and Learning Agility:
- Deep understanding of technology program and portfolio management practices.
- Expert-level knowledge of standards and practices for technology project lifecycle management activities and deliverables.
- Clear understanding of project technical activities, including: (1) solution analysis and design; (2) enterprise, solution, and infrastructure architecture; (3) systems integration; (4) data conversion and migration; (5) environment management and build processes; and (6) deployment planning and execution.
- Expertise in MS Project (Project Server) and at least one program portfolio management tool, such as MS Project Portfolio Management (PPM).
- Advanced skills in the MS Office Product Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Clear expertise in at least one industry standard Agile tool.
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email at email@example.com
Apply on company website