Stars Behavioral Health Group was recently certified as a great workplace by the independent analysts at Great Place to Work®, based on extensive ratings provided by its employees in anonymous surveys. According to the study, 75 percent of employees say it is a great workplace.
We are committed to providing a career-enhancing environment for dedicated professionals desiring to improve the lives of people living with mental health and other challenges to their wellbeing. SBHG currently employs approximately 1,700 people at more than 45 different sites throughout California. We serve more than 30,000 adults, children, youth and families annually throughout the state. We strongly value and are committed to having a truly diverse workforce and environment- including LGBTQ, cultural, racial, and ethnic diversity in our workforce. We also value lived experience and employ staff who have been consumers of behavioral healthcare or other social services, or supported a consumer as a family member or caregiver.
Our experienced staff of Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Social Workers, Mental Health Specialists, Parent Partners and other therapists/counselors provide case management, mental health care and a range of support services in our outpatient clinics and 24/7 treatment facilities, and in community settings such as schools and homes. Our dedicated teams work collaboratively and in partnership with family members, school administrators and faculty, county social workers, case managers, probation officers and other community-based agencies.
The Safety Specialist is responsible for providing a high level of customer service through maintaining a safe environment for all clients, visitors, staff and physicians. This care is provided through direct and indirect physical and verbal interactions with clients, modeling appropriate behaviors for clients, and monitoring daily client activities.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or equivalent and two (2) years experience in a relevant field
AA degree in a related mental health field and one (1) year experience in a relevant field.
Relevant [field] experience refers to experience working with severely emotionally disturbed children and/or adults in an inpatient or outpatient setting, hospital setting, or setting where safety and security were the primary focus.
License or Certification
Valid California Driver's License and clear DMV printout preferred.
Valid CPR/BLS certification.
Valid Security Guard Registration with California BSIS (Bureau of Security and Investigative Services) OR commitment to register as a Security Guard with California BSIS within 90 days of employment required.
For bilingual positions- performs language translation and cultural consultation as assigned by Supervisor. Ability to provide client services in the designated threshold language (other than English).
Ability to visually and audibly assess client's behavior and needs.
Ability to physically perform containment, escort, and restraint procedures.
Ability to physically assist in lifting and carrying assaultive clients weighing up to 200 lbs.
Ability to walk and run.
Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time, up to 3 hrs. at a time.
Ability to complete ProAct trainings and implement physical techniques (i.e. Evasion/ Sitting/ Standing/ Floor) to become certified.
POTENTIAL JOB HAZARDS:
Blood and body fluid contact (Category I).
Operation of vehicle.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains vigilance over the general milieu within the facility to facilitate quality client care, optimum facility operations and preserve the safety of all therein.
- Supervise, protect, and care for clients individually and in groups.
- Welcome all guests, and screen all non-staff who enter the facility.
- Collect and inventory all newly arriving client property.
- Controls disturbances and assists staff in de-escalating volatile situations.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all staff, clients, guests and visitors. This post is expected to remain diligent to monitor all of the events within the area including all video surveillance cameras.
- Provide for general safety and security of the staff in the facility. Staff shall make a complete security check of the facility at least once every two hours.
- Provide general directions and informational services to those who inquire. Staff member should actively attempt to guide guests to the appropriate location within the facility.
- Enforce safety and company policies relating to health, safety, and security.
- Free employee health insurance offered for applicable full time positions
- MFTI and ACSW's receive supervision for BBS hours
- Competitive compensation
- Rewarding work environment with excellent opportunities for career growth
- Excellent work/life balance including generous vacation and holiday pay
- A unique environment – we're an employee owned organization!
- Meaningful relationships with your co-workers and the individuals we serve
- Family-oriented environment
- On the job training including paid CEU opportunities and career development
- Flexible work schedule and environment
- Mileage reimbursement
Apply on company website