"Sunrise is the best place that I've ever worked, simply because of the people. We provide quality care in an environment that feels like home. Our focus is doing what's right for the resident. For me, that's a big breath of fresh air."
- Sunrise Leader
We are currently seeking a Senior Manager of External Communications at our Community Support Office, located in McLean, Va. The main focus of the position will be to individually manage and contribute to the strategy and execution of PR and content marketing efforts, as well as serve in a primary contact role for crisis situations – all of which protect and enhance the company's brand reputation and grow census.
The right individual will have an excellent grounding in media relations and social media, including applied understanding of niche, sensitive topics in order to develop audience-appropriate content; familiarity with thought leadership campaigns; experience and comfort leading crisis communications efforts; and a natural drive to uncover and tell stories.
The candidate who will likely thrive in this position also possesses a passion and respect for the company's mission: to champion quality of life for all seniors.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
As a part of the Sunrise team, supporting our Mission, Principles of Service and Core Values is a fundamental part of this job. Our foundational belief is the sacred value of human life. Every year, team members are assigned required training that applies to their role to ensure that these standards are always met. The unique responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to the essential functions listed below:
• Brand reputation management:
o Managing issue and crisis communications with operations leaders and community teams, including on-call support outside of normal business hours.
o Generating positive press for Sunrise; working with the media on proactive and reactive opportunities including identifying stories/angles in coordination with community teams, managing inquiries, building relationships and news monitoring.
• Drafting and editing content, including customer-facing materials on behalf of executive leadership, blog articles, talking points and messaging, presentations, letters, press releases, and web copy. Should be able to write in company tone.
• Measuring the impact of communications activities; regularly monitoring results and feedback to successfully enact changes to programs. Effectively reporting results across the team and to leadership that reflects an understanding of business goals.
• Designing and leading the execution of the content marketing strategy for the blog, social media, and other owned channels to meet defined goals and positively impact lead acquisition and nurturing efforts.
• Managing key vendors according to budget and planning priorities.
• Coach and manage one direct report.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed throughout this job description are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
• Bachelor's degree, and experience in healthcare or hospitality industry preferred.
• 7+ years of corporate communications, journalism, and/or marketing experience; a mix of agency and in-house experience a plus.
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills with the ability to respond to crisis and media-related situations quickly, efficiently and effectively. Willingness and ability to be available for 24/7 support.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; demonstrated talent interacting with a diverse team member population.
• Prior experience in a high-visibility role within an organization and being recognized as a steady, trusted counselor.
• Strong understanding of public relations and corporate communications, as well as general marketing. Basic or more understanding of content marketing.
• Ability to develop comprehensive, multi-channel strategic marketing & communications plans that reflect an understanding of the company's goals and initiatives, with tactics to help achieve them.
• Strong initiative and ability to handle multiple projects/roles in evolving environments, both individually and within a team.
• Resilient, with the ability to work to deadlines and maintain high levels of professionalism while managing multiple demands.
• Willingness to do what it takes to complete projects with a dedication to quality and innovative thinking.
• Ability to quickly build relationships with Corporate Marketing & Communications team members and work collaboratively to contribute to all team initiatives.
Sunrise maintains a safe and drug-free work environment and all offers of employment with Sunrise are conditioned on submitting to and successfully completing and passing a background check and drug test.
Sunrise Senior Living offers a comprehensive benefits plan to eligible team members including health, dental, vision, retirement benefits, short-term disability, long-term disability, and paid time off. Team members may also be eligible to receive a bonus based on their position. Some leadership roles are eligible to receive annual bonuses. All team members have the potential to receive spot bonuses and other incentive awards.
Sunrise Senior Living has championed quality of life in senior care for more than 30 years. We believe team members are our greatest resource and are looking for people who share our commitment to provide quality care for seniors and their families. It's no surprise that many of the world's leading experts in Senior Living entrust their career to Sunrise. At Sunrise, you will…
Make a Difference Every Day
We are passionate about our mission — to champion quality of life for all seniors. We deliver high-quality care with a personal touch and encourage our residents to enjoy life to the fullest.
Be Part of a Uniquely Supportive Community
The care-focused environment we create for residents extends to our team members. We offer programs, rewards, and benefits to help you live your best.
Ignite Your Potential
We believe potential has no limits. We offer best-in-class leadership development programs designed to grow our leaders. We are committed to helping our team members achieve their career goals. Apply today to learn why Sunrise Senior Living is a certified Great Place to Work®
Apply on company website