Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. With more than 20,000 associates working together, Tetra Tech provides clear solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients.
We are currently seeking a Senior Civil Engineer with at least 15 years' experience to join our exciting renewable energy team in Calgary, Alberta. The successful candidate will be required to provide civil/structural leadership and experience on small ($10M) to large ($400M) renewable energy projects. The ideal candidate has extensive civil engineering experience covering earthworks and structures. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Leadership and Mentoring
- Stays abreast of new approaches
- Continually improves company tools and techniques
- Provides training and mentorship to junior staff in civil/structural elements
Renewable Project Engineering, Analysis and Design
- Project strategizing to ensure key issues are identified early such that the project development can satisfactorily addresses all major technical factors to gain approvals, meet adequate quality and performance requirements and be economic.
- Participate in analyses required to formulate and determine design criteria for components/structures/systems and prepare specifications for same.
- Undertake preliminary analysis, system/layout optimization, energy assessments and project economics to determine the best site development scenario.
- Prepare regulatory technical submissions including project definition documents and associated for development permit, water licence and land tenure applications followed by the project development plan including project description, environmental assessment review, and mitigation / compensation strategy and associated information documents.
Civil Project Design
- Civil Design - Undertake detailed analysis of project sites in prairie, foothills, and mountainous regions to layout siteworks and design civil components such as roads, stream crossings, drainage works, building sites, substation works, borrow and waste sites, laydowns, construction works for crane erection, and works staging areas. Understanding of regulatory requirements for renewable energy projects, constraints mapping, work scheduling and associated design considerations.
- Drainage Engineering - Utilizing open channel and conduit analysis to determine flow and water level variations around projects sites, water courses, and structures including erosion protection, sediment transport, culvert sizing, flood routing, and associated mitigation solutions.
- Structures Design - Undertake foundation and superstructure design for civil structures including wind towers, substations, buildings, bridges, weirs, intakes and dams. Includes comparison analysis of various types of structures to optimize structural, geotechnical, risk and cost considerations. Technical familiarity with the current technology of large equipment support systems, FEM analysis, best practises and regional code requirements.
- Detailed Cost Evaluation – Derive quantities for civil projects and review cost estimates to accurately determine best options, overall economic viability and optimize the civil works design for entire projects including Balance of Works (BoP) components, hard and soft costs and provide cost analysis reports.
Energy and Economic Evaluations
- Hydro plant energy analysis
- Economic analysis
- Understanding of capital costing
- Civil Engineer with a wide variety of civil design assignments. Strong structural background is an asset.
- Professional registration in Alberta. Registration in other provinces and territories an asset.
- Consulting Engineering experience of at least 15 years, working in a multidiscipline engineering design environment and capable of working on several major projects simultaneously.
- Some field construction experience monitoring and reporting on large civil projects in different regions and seasons of the year. Demonstrated ability to identify and correct field challenges on a timely basis with realistic cost, low risk solutions.
For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.tetratech.com. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website at www.tetratech.com/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please contact local HR regarding any accommodation requirements to make the recruitment process accessible to all interested parties. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability - No calls or agencies
- Organization: 705 PWR
Apply on company website