LOCATION: Thunder Bay, ON
STATUS: Employee or Contractor
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide and strives to provide smart solutions for challenging projects. We are a diverse company, including individuals with expertise in science, research, engineering, construction, and information technology. Our strength is in collectively providing integrated services—delivering the best solutions to meet our clients' needs. With more than 20,000 employees, 400 offices worldwide and $3.1 billion revenue in 2019, we combine the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery. Our commitment to safety is ingrained in our culture and at the forefront of every project. As part of the Tetra Tech family of companies, we are home to some of the best minds in the country, including nationally renowned subject matter experts. Whether we are contemplating the restoration of our environment or helping to revitalize our urban centers, we are thinking of clear sustainable solutions to resource management and infrastructure challenges.
Our mining and heavy industrial focused group in Thunder Bay, ON is experiencing continued growth and we are searching for Structural Designers at all experience levels to join our team. We specialize in small to mid-sized projects for clients across Canada. The scope of our projects range from studies to full EPCM in mining or related industries.
Structural Designers work on projects within the Thunder Bay team, as well as assignments from our other Canadian offices. These positions report directly to the Civil/Structural Staff Manager.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops safe and efficient industrial building and plant layouts in 3D including structural steel framing, reinforced concrete structural supports/foundations, equipment supports/foundations, stairs and access platforms.
- General arrangement and detailed drawings, calculations and bills of material in accordance with established codes, standards, drawings and other specifications.
- Makes arithmetic calculations for member size and spacing, (i.e. moment and shear capacity, deflection criteria), performs field measurements and inspections for verification of existing conditions or for conformance with issued for construction drawings and specifications.
- Directs and mentors less experienced technical personnel with specific aspects of more complex tasks.
- Complex technical decisions are reviewed with other senior technical personnel for soundness of concept. Less complex technical decisions of a routine nature are based on precedent or clearly defined procedures as guidance.
- Works under general supervision. Work is reviewed for overall compliance with design intent, proof of concept, accuracy, adequacy and conformance with prescribed procedures.
- Experience related to mining, forestry, manufacturing, or other industrial field is considered an asset.
- Design experience on projects involving steel and concrete industrial buildings and structures, building and equipment foundations, industrial plant layout and equipment installations – including stairs, platforms, conveyors, chute works, plate works, pump boxes, storage bins, hoppers and tanks.
- Work is normally performed in a typical engineering office environment with occasional short site assignments possibly required.
- Experience with 2D and 3D modelling using AutoCAD, CADWorx, Navisworks, Revit.
- Experience with other software, such as S-Frame, and MS Office.
- College graduate in structural or civil technology, or a comparable related program
- 0-5 years of experience for junior positions
- 5-15 years of experience for intermediate positions
- 15+ years of experience for senior positions
- Work is normally performed in a typical engineering office environment. Occasional short site assignments may be required on a periodic basis
- Must be able to pass a drug/alcohol screen
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
In addition to rewarding job opportunities and continuous growth, we offer an enjoyable working environment, where team work is highly valued.Stay connected to us:
- Find out more about Tetra Tech Canada
- Follow us on LinkedIn and Facebook for the latest news
- Visit our Careers page, and create a profile to receive Job Alerts
- Read our Tetra Tech newsletter to see what we're doing in your community
Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties including persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter at: www.tetratech.com/careers. We thank all those that apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Organization: 719 ICE
Apply on company website