The Software Development Engineer 6 works in a leadership role. This position employs experience as an extremely seasoned professional, uses comprehensive knowledge of industry practices, organizational policies and good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for designing, defining, developing, testing, purchasing, implementing, and analyzing of technical products and systems of diverse scope. This position performs engineering design evaluations and applies comprehensive analytical skills to recommend performance enhancements. As the senior-level Software Engineer, this position is the lead technical role and provides expertise in the solution to key issues affecting the delivery of the product.
This individual works with divine guidance to provide or support technology that furthers the mission of the Church and reflects the eternal impact of the gospel.
We create inspiring experiences that bring joy to all people as they discover, gather, and connect their family - past, present, and future.
Our Quality Standards: Inspiration, Trust, Kindness, Effectiveness, Simplicity
All workers at FamilySearch learn to find their ancestors and help others do the same.
- Document and approve architectures
- Act as the technical lead, and mentor less-senior developers
- Provide consulting services to teams in the areas of advanced technology and architectures
- Gather technical requirements from solution architects
- Perform analysis of technical requirements
- Demonstrates expertise in relevant emerging industry technologies and how they apply to our business
- Perform general research to evaluate a range of technology options
- Envisions and establishes clear technical direction, and vision, within the organization
- Interact with vendors, provide feedback on their solutions. Participate in vendor selection efforts
- Provide significant direction for strategic plans and solution roadmaps
- Provide technical leadership for multiple teams in the design and development of technologically advanced issues
- Provide estimates for development tasks
- Develop source code and unit tests according to technical designs
- Participate in code reviews
- Develop technical documentation
- Participate in the Problem Management process and fix defects
- Design and implement measures within the stack/platform required to protect derivative solutions from security compromise
- Comply with policies, standards, and regulatory requirements and ensure all others are doing the same
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, closely related field or equivalent experience. Master's degree preferred.
- 12+ years of industry recognized, progressive and relevant professional experience.
- 5+ years deep technical experience in the required discipline and the IT methodologies used
- Experience using Spring Boot and Amazon Web Services
- Knowledge of security practices and technologies, particularly with OpenID Connect and OAuth
- Familiarity with agile and continuous delivery practices
Other Demonstrated Skills & Abilities:
- Experience completing two or more major cycles in architecting entire systems and successfully implemented through two or more development cycles
- Demonstrate clear evidence of external industry validation and enterprise-grade vision
- Demonstrated experience evaluating vendors and their solutions and can identify critical gaps in their offerings, when applicable
- Exceptional written and verbal communications at all levels of the business
- Must be able to interact effectively with customers and present solutions, as well as lead customers through making decisions
- Must have a strong understanding of the technical use cases supported by the stack/platform
- Must be able to lead cross-functional and interdepartmental product or project teams, define work processes, and lead a team of highly educated and skilled engineers and managers
- Must keep abreast of trends and directions in technology, understanding their relevance to the Church
- Must be able to make architectural choices based on solid principles and practical experience without unsubstantiated bias
- Must be able to set technical architectural direction without supervision
- Should be an outstanding troubleshooter, with the ability to think under pressure and drive the hardest problems to resolution
- Should be a leader and follow the principles of The Leadership Pattern
- Must have a demonstrated ability to mentor and train peers
- Expert-level knowledge of applicable software, computer languages, and code to perform the responsibilities of the role
- This job operates in a professional office environment
- To successfully perform the essential functions of the job there may be physical requirements which need to be met such as sitting for long periods of time and using computer monitors/equipment
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
Posting Notice/More Info.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Find out more about the many benefits of Church Employment at http://careers.churchofjesuschrist.org.
Apply on company website