Company: The Liberty Hotel
Location: Boston, MA
Career Level: Director
Industries: Hospitality, Travel, Leisure
The Liberty Hotel
Supervise the daily operations of the Catering Department to achieve customer satisfaction, quality service and compliance with local and corporate standard operating procedures.
- 5+ years in Catering Sales and Convention Services required.
- CI/TY experience preferred.
- Must have experience at a similar size and quality hotel.
- High School Diploma required; Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Must possess computer skills, including, but not limited to, use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Delphi. Knowledge of computer accounting programs, math skills, as well as budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Extensive knowledge of catering sales and convention services skills, revenue management, recruitment, supervision, training, and motivation of managers.
- Knowledge of hotel operations, including marketing plans, security and safety programs, personnel and labor relations, preparation of business plans, repairs, maintenance, budget forecasting, quality assurance programs, hospitality law, and long-range planning.
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints and deadlines.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences, such as effectively communicating with supervisors, coworkers, public etc.
- Skilled at both monthly forecasting and the annual budget process. Understanding of pace and productivity.
- Interview, recommend hiring, schedule, train, develop, empower, coach and counsel, resolve problems, provide open communication, recommend and conduct performance and salary reviews, recommend discipline and termination, as appropriate.
- Strong yield management skills with an understanding of optimizing the catering mix of business and the use of historical data.
- Experience evaluating every catering business opportunity to maximize revenue and profitability while achieving customer expectations.
- Maintain or exceed budgeted sales and profits in all catering areas.
- Develop and implement effective marketing plans for generating catering revenues.
- Carefully review all contracted services to assure proper contribution to profits.
- Identify trends, research the competition's products, services and pricing and use it to develop strategic business plans.
- Optimize room rental charges.
- Experience selling to a variety of market segments.
- Consistently book repeat business by having a track record of long term client relationships.
- Actively participate in industry related organizations (NACE, MPI).
- Thorough knowledge of sales techniques including strong closing skills as well as negotiating skills. Track record of strong prospecting efforts. Comfortable with hotel site inspections and client presentations. Participate in trade shows and sales blitzes.
- Actively participate in community/civic activities to maintain awareness within community and to create booking opportunities.
- Excellent creative skills to provide innovative set-ups, menus, and functions for groups.
- Ability to generate creative and innovative menus while working closely with Chef on pricing specialty menus.
- Work closely with banquet department on operations and event execution, ability to quickly evaluate alternatives and decide on a plan of action. Provide overall direction, coordination, and ongoing evaluation of operations.
- Experience providing Audio/Visual equipment and operating Audio/Visual as a profit center.
- Utilization of the Delphi trace and activity tools while conducting business
- Monitor sales performance of Catering Sales Managers and coach and council towards success. Maintain ongoing training program for Catering and Convention Services Managers.
- Monitor group room blocks and pick up, generate detailed resumes for the operating departments.
- Ability to work with outside vendors to ensure client satisfaction for all events/groups.
- Comply with attendance rules and be available to work on a regular basis.
- Perform any other job related duties as assigned.
Apply on company website