Pay Grade: 34
Hiring Salary: $15.00/Hourly
JOB SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The Carpenter performs skilled carpentry work in the construction, maintenance, repair and alteration of building structures and facilities following recognized procedures and techniques of the carpentry trade. The Carpenter practices preventive maintenance of carpentry tools and equipment, and complies with federal regulations governing safety, environmental protection, hazardous waste disposal and the use of chemical substances and materials common to construction.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Uses hand and power tools such as saws, hammers, chisels, levels, drills, presses, sanders, table saws, joiners, planers, wood lathes, mortising machines and related carpentry tools to perform skilled carpentry work.
- Performs construction of new walls, hangs sheetrock and doors, installs hardware, ceiling grids, tile, tile floors, and base mold; finish and trim.
- Completes assigned carpentry maintenance and repair tasks with quality workmanship.
- Assembles, fabricates or builds, and installs materials, equipment, or fixtures as required by the scope of work; provides estimate of repairs or replacement and recommends the use of additional departmental personnel or contract personnel (as appropriate) to meet assigned completion targets.
- Protects University property and equipment from damage during carpentry repairs.
- Restores office areas and facilities to the original condition at the completion of work. Cleans work areas, machines and equipment.
- Practices preventive maintenance of carpentry tools and equipment by performing spot checks of equipment.
- Complies with policies, laws, and regulations governing environmental protection, safety, hazardous waste disposal, and the use of chemical substances and materials common to carpentry work.
- Provides technical assistance in the purchase of new or replacement carpentry shop equipment.
- Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years carpentry work experience. Completion of a carpentry vocational/technical school or a recognized apprenticeship program in carpentry is preferred. Ability to interpret blueprints and schematics is required. Must possess knowledge of carpentry procedures and equipment and basic knowledge of other skilled trades. Computer literacy is required. The ability to develop knowledge of and skills to engage other cultures or backgrounds is required.
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION: Valid Driver's License (Required).
PHYSICAL QUALIFICATIONS: Must be able to climb ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, and poles. This position requires the ability to walk over extended periods, the ability to transverse uneven and sometimes slippery surfaces; and work while bending and stooping.
WORK SCHEDULE: This position is required to report to the designated work location to ensure operation of essential campus functions or departments during an emergency, or when the University has suspended or delayed operations. This position may occasionally work weekends.
An official transcript or documentation to verify education must be submitted in a sealed envelope to the Human Resources Department prior to first day of employment if selected for a position.
Apply on company website