Hiring Range: $260,000.00-$300,000.00 annuallyJOB SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Chief Medical Examiner will perform death investigations, establish cause and manner of death, formulate conclusions, opinions or testimony in judicial proceedings, and to be available for consultations as necessary.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for directing the overall operation of the West Tennessee Regional Forensic Center by performing highly responsible and complex administrative work in planning, coordinating, directing, implementing and controlling the statutory functions as defined by the Tennessee Post-Mortem Examination Act; and to do related work as required.
- Provide direct or indirect services to District Attorneys, the Courts, the Attorney General, funeral homes, families of decedents, hospitals and major medical academic centers, insurance companies, organ procurement organizations, local and state police investigators, fire departments, a variety of state agencies, and various Federal programs and agencies.
- Coordinate activities of the West Tennessee Regional Forensic Center with the Shelby County Department of Health.
- Responsible for directing the overall operation of the Medical Examiner's Office which carries out medicolegal death investigations for the County, and provides autopsy services for up to 15 other counties in the north, central and eastern portions of the state.
- Perform the responsibilities of a forensic pathologist (i.e. doing autopsies) and responsible for reviewing the forensic pathology functions done in the setting.
- Counsels' families in person or thru the telephone on increasing their level of understanding regarding the cause and manner of the death of the person involved as well as the psychological and physiologic aspects of the case.
- In certain circumstances, the Chief Medical Examiner may be obligated to be a witness in the courts of law to aid in investigation of cases.
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited medical school and board certification in Forensic Pathology by the American Board of Pathology (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in a responsible position involving practice in the field of Forensic Pathology, prior management experience is required. OR, any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION: Must possess licensure to practice medicine and certification by the American Board of Pathology in the field of Anatomic Pathology and Forensic Pathology at the time of appointment, and must maintain such licensure and certification as a condition of employment. (COPY OF LICENSE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED)
Apply on company website