Pay Grade: 40
Hiring Range: $3,956.33/Mo. - $5,463.47/Mo.
JOB SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Under the general direction of the Assistant Vice Chancellor of SASSI and in conjunction with the Clinical Supervisor, the Counselor works with a diverse college student population at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center by designing, coordinating, and implementing prevention initiatives. Provides individual, group, evaluation and assessment of students and coordinates outreach and training including preventive and appropriate responses to students with concerning behaviors including prevention of suicide and sexual assault. Leads individual assessments, counseling, and consultations, facilitates groups with an emphasis on harm and risk reduction.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts individual assessments following departmental guidelines and professional and ethical standards. Develops and implements appropriate educational materials to complement interventions.
- Facilitates psychoeducational orientated counseling groups, including but not limited to judicial referral groups.
- Provides culturally responsive services to underserved populations (e.g., students from racial and ethnic minority groups, students with LGBTQA+ identities, students who identify as Veterans, including prevention of suicide, sexual assault, use/misuse of alcohol and other drugs and general mental health counseling).
- Provides urgent and crisis response services. Handles walk-in crisis services and after-hours/weekend on-call coverage. Responds to emergencies in a timely manner.
- Identifies program needs and provides recommendations to the Assistant Vice Chancellor of SASSI and the Clinical Supervisor.
- Participates in case consultation i.e., individual and/or group, as directed and seek assistance in matters that exceed the Counselor's level of expertise.
- Develop and implement a variety of paraprofessional and professional trainings, programs, presentations and workshops for the UTHSC community on various wellness topics (e.g., suicide and sexual assault prevention, self-care, adjustment, sleep, etc.)
- Facilitates workshops and trainings with students, faculty and staff. Plans events, develops, presents and evaluates materials for constituency's specific needs and goals.
- Provides timely documentation of clinical findings, evaluations, and assessments regarding students and communicates with identified University constituents.
- Collaborates with Assistant Vice Chancellor of SASSI and Clinical Supervisor to coordinate prevention and outreach (e.g., eating disorders, anxiety/coping skills, suicide prevention, alcohol and other drugs, etc.)
- Participates in the preparation of unit reports and federally mandated reports.
- Facilitates, supports, and engages in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Master's Degree in Counseling or a closely related field.(TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)
EXPERIENCE: One (1) year of experience in providing suicide and sexual assault prevention, education and treatment.
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION: Licensed or license-eligible within one year as a mental health provider in the state of Tennessee. (COPY OF LICENSE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated knowledge of sexual assault prevention and current alcohol and other drug issues affecting health science graduate/professional students and specific higher risk groups (e.g., LGBTQA, Student Veterans, other diverse groups).
- Demonstrated excellence and skill in assessments, motivational interviewing, and other harm reduction/supportive approaches to treatment is preferred.
- Successful ability to work with students from traditionally diverse groups.
- Ability to commit to equity and inclusivity.
- Excellent human relation and communication skills.
- Ability to work in alignment with the mission, vision, and strategic plan of SASSI and UTHSC and co-curricular learning outcomes.
- Ability to facilitate meetings and groups, coach and mentor students.
- Ability to establish and maintain a level of confidentiality congruent with the policies of the University and governing ethical bodies.
- Experience and skill in the design and implementation of training events and programs.
- Ability to respond to urgent and/or crises.
- Ability to work as a team member to promote the mission of SASSI and UTHSC.
WORK SCHEDULE: This position may be required to work frequent evenings and occasional weekends.
An official transcript or documentation to verify education must be submitted in a sealed envelope to the Human Resources Department prior to first day of employment if selected for a position.
Apply on company website