Pay Grade: 39
Hiring Range: $47,476.00 - $65,561.60/Annually
JOB SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Under the general supervision of the Deputy Chief of Police, the Dispatch Manager provides oversight of staff and the administrative functions within the dispatch service center. Implements policies and procedures, manages projects, and ensures the proper training, growth, and development of assigned personnel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides on-the-job training and career development initiatives to dispatchers and supervisor(s) in customer service, basic interview processes, and Computer Assisted Dispatch (CAD) skills.
- Oversees staff work performances and makes necessary recommendations.
- Develops and reviews standard operating procedures annually.
- Monitors radio frequencies and transmits radio messages to field personnel, as necessary.
- Discerns life threatening situations and assists when required.
- Attends Direct Report meetings weekly.
- Conducts staff meetings regularly.
- Develops and conducts maintenance and retention schedules of tape recordings and equipment.
- Coordinates and assigns personnel to radio frequencies.
- Fosters and maintains a strong line of communication between officers, dispatchers, and Dispatch Supervisor.
- Works various shifts to mitigate training needs/discrepancies, as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age.
- Must not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of "nolo contendre" (no contest) to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state law or city ordinance relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor, or controlled substances.
- Must have a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the field of Police Communications with three (3) years in a supervisory capacity; or any combination of experience and training which enables one to perform the essential job functions.
- Must obtain State of Tennessee certification on the National Crime Information Center/Tennessee Information Enforcement System/National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (NCIC/TIES/NLETS) as a Public Safety Dispatcher within one (1) year of employment and must maintain such certification as a condition of continued employment.
Ability to possess and display above average knowledge of the standards in applications of dispatch procedures at all times: To provide safe, orderly, and expeditious call handling from the campus community and from UTHSC Officers.
LICENSURES/CERTIFICATIONS: Must obtain State of Tennessee certification on the NCIC/TIES/NLETS systems as a public safety dispatcher within one (1) year of employment and must maintain such certification as a condition of continued employment.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Skills to compile and store various reports from standard information and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work successfully with coworkers and the public with courtesy and tact.
- Knowledge of communication protocols to coordinate all existing and future hardware and software interface.
- Ability to effectively plan and organize work while conducting several different jobs in the computer system at one time.
- Skill and proficiency using MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat required.
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills and strong customer service and organizational skills required.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently and as part of a team, and meet deadlines required.
- Ability to present a professional demeanor and positive attitude required.
- Ability to articulate a strong commitment to diversity and work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to diversity.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and collaborative working relationships with individuals and teams, based on respect, honesty, and collegiality with all constituencies.
- Ability to demonstrate experience as an effective problem-solver.
WORK SCHEDULE: This position may be occasionally required to work evenings and weekends. May require occasional overnight travel. Must be willing to work various shifts, holidays, and rotate days off, if needed.
Apply on company website