Pay Grade: 41
Hiring Range: $3,785.60 - $5,463.47/Monthly
THIS IS A GRANT-FUNDED POSITION.
JOB SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Senior Research Specialist designs, executes, analyzes, interprets, and performs a variety of research experiments and projects including data analysis and presentation, and lab management. This position trains and manages other laboratory personnel to assist with and delineate mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis of respiratory infections in hosts with allergic asthma using advanced methodologies in immunology, cell and molecular biology, and microbiology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Acts as supervisor in directing and coordinating the work of lower level staff.
- Guides, trains, and advises researchers and students on techniques, methods and procedures.
- Maintains an efficient laboratory operation by maintaining orderly up-to-date laboratory records, monitoring and maintaining lab or departmental inventory and orders supplies as required.
- Disseminate research data at regional and national meetings.
- Maintains proper knowledge and execution of safety procedures.
- Participates in weekly lab meetings, departmental, and institutional seminars as directed by the supervisor.
- Conducts research projects, oversees other projects in the laboratory, and assists in training laboratory personnel (students, technicians, etc.).
- Analyzes and interprets data and results, including quantification of pathogenicity, viral and bacterial titration, sorting, and ELISA/Luminex data, and statistical analyses.
- Conduct large animal studies in host-pathogen interactions independently.
- Drafts manuscripts and aids in grant preparation.
- Conducts literature searches and systematic reviews.
- Assumes responsibility for documentation compilation and reporting of experiments.
- Maintains accurate dated records of experiments and protocols and presents experimental data in a clear and concise manner.
- Aids orientation of new personnel to the laboratory and instructs on use of laboratory equipment as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed in order to meet the goals and objectives of the laboratory and department.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years of laboratory and research experience; OR Master's Degree, two (2) years of laboratory and research experience. Extensive experience in techniques in aseptic cell culture, molecular biology, and murine handling is preferred. Practical knowledge in flow cytometry assay design, and staining is preferred. Knowledge of maintaining laboratory operations and budgeting. Skills in advanced immunological and microbiological techniques, animal handling and processing, and proper use of aseptic laboratory techniques. Computer skills including Prism, Microsoft office, word processing, spreadsheets, database and Internet searches, and ability to learn new software related to biological applications. Knowledge of complex immunology, microbiology, and other biological techniques, ideas, concepts, and analysis, including molecular Biology techniques, BSL-2 pathogen handling, and animal experimentation preferred. Knowledge and execution of laboratory safety procedures and ethical laboratory practices. Knowledge of statistical analyses of biological data preferred. Knowledge of maintaining laboratory operations and budgeting preferred.
An official transcript or documentation to verify education must be submitted in a sealed envelope to the Human Resources Department prior to first day of employment if selected for a position.
Apply on company website