Job Title: Computational Physicist
Requisition ID: 151794BR
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you will do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact and supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division US - Hillsboro, OR/ Remote in US --Materials and Structural Analysis Division
How will you make an impact?
- The Sample Modification & Characterization group within Advanced Technology (AT) is seeking a computational physicist or computational biophysicist to help create the next generation of microscopy tools.
- Our AT team is responsible for Research and Development to create new microscopy technologies that delight our customers and solve their research needs.
- Charged particle optics, electron and ion focusing systems, and sample characterization are at the heart of Thermo Fisher Scientific's Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Focused Ion Beam (FIB), and DualBeam tools serving the Semiconductor, Life Science and Materials Science markets.
- You will contribute to scientific understanding of particle-matter interactions and emerging microscopy technologies, particularly those for Life Science customers.
What will you do?
- Define and execute independent simulation projects that support our customers' scientific goals in electron microscopy.
- Provide computational, programming and simulation support for other key projects within AT around sample preparation, beam chemistry and charged particle physics.
- Develop and maintain in-house computer programs and simulation packages supporting exploratory R&D.
- Define and execute the Digital Science vision of the group.
- Ownership of projects or sub-components of projects in line with the group's 5-year technology roadmap.
- Participate in the development of intellectual property including invention disclosures and patent applications.
- Maintain substantial knowledge of state of the art in computational techniques and best practices.
- Work closely with a team of scientists and engineers.
- Communicate product of research to internal customers.
- Attend conferences, workshops, and other events to communicate research to external customers.
- Establish collaborations with computational experts and external professionals to accelerate projects.
- Other duties as required.
Doctorate in physics, computer science, mathematics, or equivalent with 5 years' work experience (Postdoc or industry) or other equivalent degree(s) with commensurate experience.
- This role is required to have experience in computational physics, computational biology, computational chemistry, or computational biophysics.
- Strong background in mathematics, physics, chemistry, or biology.
- Familiarity with modern digital simulation techniques such as density functional theory.
- Expertise in biomechanics / biophysics is desired.
- Expertise in Artificial Intelligence / Deep Learning method is desired.
- Experience collaborating with experimentalists is desired.
- Strong knowledge of statistical and data-analytical methods.
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement complex algorithms and simulate physical systems using commercially available simulation software.
- Ability to work cooperatively and professionally to conceive, develop, and complete research projects relevant to the business on-time and on-budget.
- Ability to think creatively to scope and propose new projects.
- Ability to maintain regular stakeholder contact for updates and discussions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent collaboration skills.
- Windows, MS Office proficiency.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, as well as with cross-functional groups.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 75,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner, and safer.
To Apply, please click the following link: https://thermofisher.contacthr.com/82479042
Apply on company website