Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location / Division
Grand Island, NY / BioProduction Division
How will you make an impact?
We are seeking a highly creative scientist with expertise in LC-MS/MS based metabolite profiling to advance the omics groups aims in developing our product and service offerings for cell culture media and cell line development. The selected candidate will plan and conduct laboratory studies that support the development of novel cell culture media formulations, processes, cell lines, and in silico models.
What will you do?
- Designs experimental plans, leads study execution, analyzes experimental data, generates laboratory protocols, and writes technical reports, quantitative analyses, and product summaries
- Carries out detailed untargeted and targeted LC-MS/MS analyses of complex, biologically derived small molecule mixtures. Follows established and develops new protocols, is responsible for review and integration of peaks, and performs quality control. Tracks and compiles results.
- Operates and maintains one or more LC-mass spectrometer systems (e.g. orbitrap LUMOS, orbitrap-IDX, triple quadrupole LC-MS/MS systems) and one or more HPLC/UPLC systems for endogenous small molecule separation, identification and quantification.
- Works on complex problems of diverse scope where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors
- Troubleshoots and solves problems in the design/execution of development projects
- Exercises practical judgment within broadly defined practices and policies and exhibits creativity and foresight in selecting approaches and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Investigates, creates, and develops new methods and technologies to improve effectiveness of development workflows
- Maintains accurate lab notebook to support protection of intellectual property in accordance with relevant Thermo Fisher required standards
- Maintains high level of professional expertise and substantial knowledge of principles and theories through familiarity with competing technologies and/or products, review of current scientific literature, and attendance at scientific seminars and meetings
- Presents data at scientific conferences (external and internal) and prepares other publications when appropriate
- Interacts closely with other internal departments (i.e., Marketing, Business Development, Quality, Operations and/or Technical Services) in the commercialization of new products
- Frequent technical interactions with outside collaborators through seminars and publications and with customers through teleconferences, site visits, and scientific meetings
- Performs duties independently with only general direction given
- Complies with all company safety, training, and quality regulations (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.) and procedures
- Works in a laboratory environment, is required to lift up to 40 lbs., and may be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties
- Able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials
- Must be able to work flexible hours; travel may be required as much as 5 – 10 %
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
How will you get here?
Education / Experience
- PhD degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or related discipline AND related experience; OR master's degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or related discipline AND 3 years of related experience; OR bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or related discipline AND 5 years of related experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Experience using LC-MS for small molecule analysis and in MS-based metabolite profiling
- Working knowledge of scientific principles associated with bioprocessing workflows
- Possess demonstrated ability and knowledge to design and conduct research independently
- Experience using Microsoft Office required. Experience using MS-software suites and MS-data analysis tools
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and external contacts in a fast-paced environment required, and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise, and accurate manner
- Demonstrated competence in data analysis, research design, troubleshooting, and the evaluation of new techniques and procedures for manufacturing reagents, systems, products or technologies
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate and adapt to changing project priorities
- Expertise in the methods and techniques of small-scale mammalian cell culture, and operation of bench-top stirred tank bioreactors and related process development laboratory equipment
- Industrial experience, particularly in metabolomics and/or cell culture media formulation development
- Familiarity with use of bioinformatics tools and visualization software, Metabolic Flux Analysis, and statistical design of experiments (DOE)
- Understanding of chemical, biochemical and physical interactions of cell culture media and reagent components
- Industrial experience in continuous bioprocess development for human biotherapeutic applications (perfusion/chemostat-based culture methods)
- Cell culture experience with cell lines used in protein production applications (e.g. CHO, HEK293, NS0)
- Experience with cell lines used in the production of viral vaccines or cell therapy (e.g. Vero, MRC-5, BHK; Primary T cells, NK cells)
- High-throughput cell culture technologies (e.g. ambr15)
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
To Apply, please click the following link: https://thermofisher.contacthr.com/75752296
Apply on company website