Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location / Division
San Jose, CA | Sunnyvale, CA | Austin, TX | U.S Remote / Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry
How will you make an impact?
We are looking for an ambitious, talented, and self-motivated individual, who will help us build semantic solutions by elucidating, organizing, and describing information from the rich domain of life science. Your work will take you across many important areas of our business from products to experimental results, biological entities to laboratory techniques, and everything in between.
Working closely with our semantic architect, you will be focused on building out the Thermo Fisher knowledge graph to incorporate concepts that are central to our business and goals. Further, you will use this knowledge to improve our products by working closely with software engineers, UI/UX designers, and product management to help them understand how they can benefit from the use of these information structures. Finally, as a detail-focused individual, you will manage the governance process for how we manage and grow this valuable information.
What will you do?
- Find and evaluate existing taxonomies and ontologies that may be applicable to our work
- Design and publish taxonomies/ontologies to describe the core concepts of our domain when other sources are non-existent or incomplete
- Work closely with subject matter experts to capture and refine information structures central to their work
- Refine and grow the governance process for our structured data
- Grow and mature the use of our enterprise vocabulary management software, ultimately making it a high-value resource within the organization
- Work with data scientists to better understand how standardized terminologies can be leveraged to reduce the time it takes to clean and harmonize data before models can be built
- Advocate for the value of information architecture and standardization of terminology across our company
- Stay abreast and evaluate the latest in analytics technologies and determine how to incorporate these into our data science best practices
- Build strong relationships with cross-functional team members and business stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with the technology, UI/UX, and product organizations to ensure alignment with our business goals
How will you get here?
- Bachelor's degree in Philosophy, Library / Information Science, Computer Science or related field
- 6+ years of experience as a taxonomist /ontologist or library scientist
- 3+ years of experience with a scripting language used to harvest, clean and organize data (preferably Python)
- Experience working with enterprise tools to manage vocabularies including all aspects related to design, governance, and production use
- Demonstrated experience with semantic web architecture using RDF and SPARQL
- Experience with large-scale consumer-facing production software and cloud deployment strategies.
- Agile/Scrum methodology experience
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Understanding of ontology design and authoring.
- The confidence and ability to investigate deep subject domains and to make sense of them relatively quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills to recruit and to utilize busy but interested subject matter experts
- Master's degree
- Life science experience
Keywords: Topic modeling, semantic architecture, ontology, taxonomy, controlled vocabulary, data governance, data cleansing, data harmonization.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
To Apply, please click the following link: https://thermofisher.contacthr.com/82354053
Apply on company website