Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $35 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 90,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
We are currently recruiting for a
Technical Application Scientist (m/f/d) Microarray and Sequencing
Location: Office based in Darmstadt, Madrid or Glasgow
A typical day in Technical Support:
Apart from having very interesting questions from researchers that will challenge your mind and scientific knowledge, the job often requires you to interact with many different departments and colleagues to solve inquiries. Inquiries may be received via telephone or email.
You'll proof yourself as creative and flexible every day, looking for fast and effective solutions. At the same time, it is important to keep on learning, to share experience and knowledge with other colleagues and be always aware of new products and solutions.
Technical Support is a place where diversity and inclusion are valued.
Hear from Mai a Technical Applications Scientist on her role and how she uses her problem-solving skills to help move science forward by providing the right solutions to customers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4aV8NnZxwY&feature=youtu.be
The Technical Application Scientist is responsible for providing pre-and post-sales technical support for Thermo Fisher Scientific Life Science product lines to both internal and external customers.
The job primarily requires supporting customers by phone and email on technical queries and the demonstration of abilities to take on additional tasks beside the core activities of the role.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
Provides technical support for Life Science products and services by answering customer technical inquiries, inquiries may be received via telephone or email
- Provides complete customer support on technical issues by utilizing all available resources, escalates issues or problems when warranted
- Demonstrates proficiency in using all required computer systems and databases
- Records and manages customer complaints on technical and quality issues. Troubleshoots, provides advice or solutions to problems, and arranges credits or replacement products as required
- Tracks product related issues and escalates issues when needed
- Participates in customer notifications on product quality issues as required
- Develops technological and product expertise within one or more key business areas while staying up to date in all the company's business areas
- Position determines own practices and procedures and contributes to the development of new concepts
- Participates in team tasks, including, but not limited to, complaint analysis, customer surveys, Voice of Customer reports etc.
Your Skills and Experiences:
Aside from the obvious hard skills related to having a scientific background, laboratory experience, data analysis and language skills, there are many soft skills that are vital for the role.
Probably the most crucial of these is the desire to help people and solve problems. Empathy and responsibility are critical traits for support staff to have and both of which drive that ownership and care of the customer.
- A Master's degree or preferably PhD. in molecular biology or related field; post-doctoral experience is a plus
- Strong “Hands on” experience with Microarrays - Affymetrix or related applications and Sequencing techniques - Sanger and/or NGS
- Experience in clinical research or diagnostics
- Fluent in English and French, German as an additional language skill is a plus
- Strong communication skills
Please note: This is a full-time position on a 1-year contract with the possibility of extension.
What we Offer:
- Employment with an innovative, future-oriented organisation
- Outstanding career and development prospects
- Company pension scheme and other fringe benefits
- Exciting company culture which stands for integrity, intensity, involvement and innovation
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 90,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or any other legally protected Status.
Apply on company website