The Chef leads and supervises the quality and quantity of the food offered, as well as coordinates the production as it relates to the restaurant. He/She develops new menu offerings and displays and ensures all menu items are prepared to the Five Star Service Standards. Furthermore, the Restaurant Chef participates in service education through daily line-ups, quarterly menu meetings; and new server and kitchen staff training programs.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
- Assist F&B Director and Hotel Executive Chef in estimating annual food budget.
- Dine at local restaurants to observe the latest trends in food presentation/pricing.
- Monitor outlets during peak periods to oversee production flow and presentation.
- Maintain vacation schedule for proper staffing.
- Report any equipment in need of repair or replacement to Engineering/Maintenance team.
- Perform other duties as requested, such as VIP parties and staff meetings.
- Participate in the Manager-on-Duty Program as designated by the hotel.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Considerable knowledge of mathematics (addition/subtraction/multiplication/division) to create and interpret reports, budgets, and forecasts.
- Extensive knowledge of menu development, insight into marketing, cost and wage control.
- Extensive knowledge of food products, standard recipes, and proper preparation.
- Ability to analyze, forecast, and make judgments to ensure proper payroll and production control.
- Ability to read, write, speak English to comprehend and communicate job functions.
- Ability to safely operate complex food preparation machinery.
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to supervise a large staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
- Ability to work in an environment with extreme temperature ranges(hot and cold).
- Effectively conduct meetings, menu briefings, and maintain communication lines between team members and management personnel.
- Ability to stand, walk, and or sit continuously to perform the essential functions of job for extended periods of time.
- Ability to effectively deal with external and internal customers , some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy. Ability to collect accurate information from these customers to resolve conflicts.
- Hearing and visual ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations, distinguish product taste, texture, and quality, and evaluate presentation and preparation.
- Artistic ability to create theme menus, ideas for ice carvings, decorations, etc.
Four year college degree in related field preferred. Culinary Degree preferred.
At least eight years in a related field preferred. Minimum of two years in culinary management preferably in a similarly sized restaurant.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
Must be able to obtain state health department certificate for food safety, sanitation. CPR/First Aid certification required.
Apply on company website