Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we're the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We're doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We're a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
In December 2015, technology blog Gizmodo listed Ting (a small Internet company operating out of an old warehouse in Liberty Village) as one of “The 6 Best Things That Happened to the Internet This Year” in the United States. What the what?!?
Ting is part of Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC), a $200 million public company founded in 1994. We are investing millions in fiber networks and partnering with small towns to change what Americans expect from their Internet service and their Internet service provider. (Oh, related point, Americans hate their cable companies even more than their cell phone providers.) We have already launched Gigabit speed Internet service in multiple sectors across America, from Sandpoint, Idaho to Charlottesville, Virginia. People there are loving the speed and the customer support, and they are telling their friends.
As we move into additional markets (and as our existing ones grow), we are looking for a Director of Network Engineering in our Networks group. The Networks team is responsible for finding new markets, setting them up, and contributing heavily to running them. We need someone who excels in a fast paced environment with lots of diverse, complicated priorities — and can handle a dash of ambiguity to boot. If this sounds like you — read on!Job Summary:
- Lead the Ting Networks Network Engineering team to anticipate and resolve challenges as related to the access network layer from infrastructure design and operations to enterprise customer activation, all the while scaling the network engineering function to respond to rapid footprint expansion.
- Four core areas of responsibilities: inside plant engineering, capacity planning, network turn-up and maintenance and network infrastructure operations
- Be the in-house specialist and champion across the organization for all things related to the access layer network
- Create and drive strong ongoing partnerships with vendors (circuit, material etc.)
- Work closely with the Tucows core network architecture, network operations, and infrastructure teams to ensure that Ting Access Network capacity and design align with the larger Tucows network roadmap
- Collaborate with our Design, Sales, Field Operations and PMO teams on specific opportunities, such as enterprise-level companies or Multi Dwelling Units.
- Be responsible for and support hiring efforts nationally.
- Work in conjunction with our internal construction, design, and field operations teams to light up new markets and neighborhoods.
- Build and maintain documentation around infrastructure standards or run books, methods of procedures, network audits, preventative maintenance and critical sparing.
- Develop network inventory tools and create future strategies to gain efficiencies across the enterprise.
- Continuously optimize our turn-up processes, techniques and strategies as our business continues to grow.
- Contributes to strategic planning, direction, and goal setting for Ting Networks
- 10+ years Fiber Optic experience
- Strategic problem solver
- Sophisticated Knowledge of established and emerging technologies in FTTX practices
- Experience with and focus on modern, automated approaches to network deployment and operation.
- Ability to supervise and motivate others in person and remotely
- Ability to make decisions and tackle problems while working under pressure
- Ability to work cross functionally to foster relationships.
- Prior experience in management positions with shown success in team development and business growth
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.
Apply on company website