Be a part of a world-class academic health-care system at UChicago Medicine as a Operating Engineer in the MCPP Engineering and Trades department.
Union bid dates: 2/23/21-3/1/21
In this role, you will be responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of all machinery and equipment required to supply the Medical Center complex with electrical power, heating, air conditioning, ventilation, medical/laboratory air, medical/laboratory vacuum, steam and water.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintaining and keeping building utility systems in order: heating, cooling and ventilating systems, pneumatic and DDC temperature controls, medical/laboratory air, medical/laboratory vacuum, pumps, cooling towers, air filters, and central refrigeration units. Duties include identifying, diagnosing and repairing system components to ensure continued operation.
- Adjusting manual and automated controls of building systems to ensure safe and efficient operation of buildings. May operate computer Building Automation Systems (Johnson Controls, Siemens, Andover) to accomplish specific tasks related to building operations.
- Maintaining and keeping the steam distribution system and high pressure vessels (up to 180 psi pressure) within the Medical Center in order. Duties may include tightening fittings, repacking valves, replacing packing glands, gaskets, valves, recorders and gauges, cleaning and replacing burners and other components.
- Participating in building and system start-up and commissioning. Participating in capital projects and working with project managers and contractors to complete projects.
- May operate and maintain pneumatic tube systems within the Medical Center.
- May replace switches and motors to 110 volts.
- Maintaining relative pressures and air quantities in HVAC systems.
- Repairing and maintaining existing plumbing systems.
- Repairing and maintaining appliances including refrigeration and package A/C equipment.
- Working from building blueprints to determine location and layout of circuits, ducts and piping. Performing on the scene repairs or replacing components. Performings repair work in central shop.
- Using hand tools and power equipment such as drill presses, saws, threaders, and grinding wheels.
- Requisitioning materials and supplies as needed.
- Keeping work area neat, clean and safe.
- Completing required departmental paperwork in a timely and legible fashion.
- Communicating with patients, visitors, and other Hospital employees with tact and courtesy.
- Following through on all assigned duties until completion.
- Maintaining personal appearance in accordance with departmental policy on dress and uniform.
- Performing other duties assigned.
- High School Graduate.
- Successful completion of recognized trade union apprentice program such as an Operating Engineer (IUOE-399), Pipefitter (LU-597 - controls), Sheet Metal Worker (Local 73) or equivalent trade union local bargaining unit or
- Successful completion of a recognized training program such as power plant operator (e.g., U.S. Navy, USCG), technical training school or educational programs (e.g., Certificate or AA in Stationary Engineering or HVAC/R).
- Must have and maintain a current City of Chicago Stationary Engineers License. A Stationary Engineers License from an equivalent jurisdiction is acceptable until a City of Chicago license can be obtained.
- Must have a minimum 5 to 7 years of experience in power plant, facility operations, building maintenance or building automation/controls.
- Must have and maintain an EPA Refrigerant License
- Ability to read and comprehend written instructions and communicate with others by writing.
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of power and hand equipment used on the job.
- Must be able to work from ladders and scaffolds.
- Must be physically capable of performing the work expected in an efficient manner.
- Must have knowledge of safety rules, practices and equipment.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively and work with other people.
- Must be capable of strenuous physical activity.
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time (1.0) ; 8-hour shifts
- Shift: Evenings
- Unit/Department: MCPP Engineering and Trades
- CBA Code: 73 SEIU
- No Visa Sponsorship Available
Apply on company website