Advanced Practice Nurse- ICU, Full-time, Days, University of Chicago Medicine, Hyde Park, Illinois
We're hiring an Advanced Practice Nurse- ICU, department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, for a full-time shift at the University of Chicago Medicine Hyde Park, IL!
The Advance Practice Nurse is responsible for comprehensive direct patient care management. The APN manages a caseload of patients and exercises autonomous decision making in the assessment, diagnosis and initiation of delegated medical treatments. The scope of practice includes family support, discharge planning, staff education, consultation and research
Responsibilities and Clinical Practice
- Gathers pertinent information systematically and skillfully from all sources: history, diagnostic tests, comprehensive physical examination, and psycho-social assessments.
- Differentiates normal and abnormal variations for all body systems.
- Assesses patient and family adaptation, coping skills and the need for crisis or other intervention.
- Accurately interprets diagnostic tests.
- Analyzes multiple sources of data in making clinical judgments and in determining the effectiveness of a plan of care.
- Develops problem lists with associated differential diagnosis.
- Identifies educational needs of the patient and family and assists with teaching.
- Incorporates assessment findings into a plan to direct patient care.
- Formulates a plan of care in collaboration with the patient, family, physician, nursing staff and other member of the health care team which incorporates health care maintenance, discharge and follow-up care.
- Appropriately prioritizes patient care.
- Plans and implements appropriate pharmacological therapies.
- Accurately and appropriately performs routine diagnostic and therapeutic techniques according to established protocols and standardized procedures for nurse practitioners.
- Serves as a role model and expert consultant for high risk obstetrical nursing.
- Initiates referrals based on patient and family need.
- Seeks appropriate consultation dependent upon patient health care needs.
- Accurately presents and documents the database, impression and plan of care.
- Identifies and promotes cost effective, quality patient care.
- Promotes, has knowledge of and utilizes appropriate patient care protocol relating to the physical, psychosocial and developmental needs of adult, and geriatric patients.
- Establishes and maintains a collaborative relationship with health care colleagues.
- Demonstrates effective use of verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills using strategies that promote problem resolution.
- Maintains formal and informal systems for information sharing, planning and problem solving with unit staff, other APN's, medical staff and other nursing and hospital personnel.
- Identifies mechanisms to determine the future direction of the nurse practitioner role.
- Identifies and clarifies the nurse practitioner role to adult critical care patients, family members, and other members of the health care team.
- Participates in self and peer evaluation to improve quality of care.* Participates in the development, review, and evaluation of nurse practitioner standardized procedures.* Identifies ethical dilemmas involved in the evaluation and management of adult critical care patients.
- Participates in research projects in the practice area.
- Identifies potential areas for nursing research.
- Integrates research findings into specialty practice and teaching.
- Keeps knowledge base current by reading professional literature and attending educational programs.
- Attains and maintains membership and active participation in a professional organization concerned with improving the quality of care for of adult critical care patients.
- Performs other duties assigned.
- Ability to conduct physical examinations and health assessments required.
- Ability to interview and obtain medical information required.
- Willingness to enter into written collaborative agreement with a collaborating physician upon hire required.
- Once licensed and as needed, willingness to apply for a mid-level practitioner controlled substance license and DEA number required.
- Willingness to be privileged and credentialed through UCMC Nurse Recruitment Office prior to start date required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently required.
- Strong organizational skills required.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills and strong analytical skill required.
- Demonstrated clinical competency, effective leadership and teaching skills required.
- Two years of clinical experience in a related area of specialty preferred.
- Critical care experience preferred
- Advanced degree (or equivalent, if license received prior to July 1, 2001) from an accredited school/college of nursing required.
- Ability to obtain Illinois advanced practice nurse (APN) license by start date required
- Current license as a Registered Nurse required.
Why Join Us?
For nearly a century Ingalls Memorial has pioneered sophisticated clinical care and developed the area's most convenient network of comprehensive outpatient centers, all dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of the community. Now, partnered with UChicago Medicine, we have expanded our network of expert physicians, convenient facilities and scope of service to speed your healing process and help navigate your path to wellness. A skilled Medical Staff and talented employees dedicated to prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of illness and injury provide a firm foundation for our reputation for quality. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, UChicago Medicine Ingalls Memorial is for you. Here at Ingalls, we're doing work that really matters. Join us!
UChicago Medicine Ingalls Memorial is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: Ingalls Career Opportunities
UChicago Medicine Ingalls is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website