Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
Director, Nursing Research & Evidence Based Practice
We're hiring for a Director, Nursing Research & Evidence Based Practice with the University of Chicago Medicine in Hyde Park - Chicago, IL.
Join one of the nation's most comprehensive leading academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine, in an innovative and impactful role as the Director of Nursing Research & Evidence Based Practice for our Patient Care Services division. This leader will spearhead various clinical studies and be tasked with further developing our team of Nurse Scientists and other clinical education staff members. We are seeking a seasoned, engaging leader to support the enterprise as we continue our focus of delivering patient care at the forefront of medicine.
Read the Organizational Overview section below to learn more about our award-winning team of patient focused professionals.
The Director, Nursing Research & Evidence Based Practice provides leadership to advance nursing research and evidence-based practice (EBP), engages in a program of research, and collaborates across settings to facilitate research efforts. This includes oversight of research and EBP training, providing vision and direction, and building capacity for nursing research and EBP activities; promoting collaboration across disciplines, and enhancing visibility of outcomes internal and external to the organization. Responsible for supervision of Clinical Nurse Specialists, developing this role as experts in EBP implementation within Patient Care Services. Serves as the point of contact for Primary Investigator status for Medical Center employees with the applicable University structures.
Director, Nursing Research & Evidence Based Practice Essential Job Functions:
- Provides Direction for Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- Provides direct oversight to CNS staff to lead EBP work.
- Collaboratively develops and oversees the implementation of a strategic plan for nursing research and evidence-based practice in alignment with University of Chicago Medicine's mission, values, and strategic plan.
- Creates a culture of inquiry, encouraging nurse engagement in research and EBP.
- Promotes nurse involvement in relevant organizational research and EBP activities.
- Identifies opportunities for internal and external funding for planned nursing research initiatives. Coordinates and/or participates in the writing of grant applications and management of the implementation of awarded grants, as appropriate.
- Oversees maintenance of policies and procedures related to nursing research and EBP.
- Provides consultation to internal staff and external agencies seeking advice and approval for research or EBP projects at UCM.
- Provides consultation and mentorship to internal staff regarding the conduct of research, evidence-based practice, and dissemination of findings.
- Builds infrastructure and oversight for the dissemination of research and EBP findings.
- Provides oversight for the activities and responsibilities of the Nursing Research Council, including review of research proposals for Institutional Review Board.
- Collaborates with nurse scientists, advanced-practice nurses, clinical nurse educators, and other organizational leaders, to provide training, consultation, and mentorship for nursing research and evidence-based practice projects.
- Provides supervision for nursing research and evidence-based practice staff.
- Engages in a Program of Research
- Conducts research relevant to nursing clinical practice, building a program of research.
- Acts as Principal Investigator for nursing research studies as applicable.
- Serves on regional, national, and international research committees/interest groups.
- Collaborates Across Settings
- Builds relationships (partnerships, funding) internally and externally to facilitate research opportunities for nurses.
- Contributes to the activities of organizational initiatives, committees, and councils related to nursing research and evidence-based practice (i.e. Magnet, Shared Governance, Institute for Translational Medicine).
- Ensures nurse representation in membership of the Institutional Review Board.
- Promotes collaborative research and EBP efforts across disciplines and settings.
- Performs other duties as requested by senior management.
Director Nursing Research & Evidence Based Practice Qualifications:
- Must hold a completed Ph.D. degree in Nursing from an accredited academic body.
- Must hold a minimum of 5 years of clinical nursing research experience with experience conducting various research initiatives.
- Must hold an active IL Registered Nurse license.
- Must have excellent planning skills/highly developed analytic skills.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal communication (both oral and written) skills; and excellent project management skills required.
- Grant writing, implementation and management is highly desired.
- Competence in word, spreadsheet, database, and statistical applications is required.
Located in Historic Hyde Park, UChicago Medicine is a not-for-profit integrated and academic health system of hospital and physician services, providing world class care since 1927. UChicago Medicine operates four hospitals and a state-of-the-art ambulatory-care facility located within a medical center campus of twenty interconnected buildings, along with several satellite facilities situated throughout Chicago's south suburbs. In addition, Ingalls Memorial Hospital is located outside of the main medical campus in Harvey, IL. Today, UChicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Division, including Ingalls Memorial Hospital encompass over 800 beds and employ nearly 12,000 people, which includes more than 800 attending physicians, 1100 residents and fellows, and 2,600 nurses.
UChicago Medicine's mission is to provide superior health care in a compassionate manner, ever mindful of each patient's dignity and individuality. UChicago Medicine has established a market identity “At the Forefront of Medicine”, and has consistently been able to attract a critical mass of talented physicians, healthcare professionals and staff to treat the most complex clinical problems. In recognition of this excellence, U.S. News and World Report rank many of our programs as among the best in the United States.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront,
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website