Employee Labor Relations Consultant
Location: Hyde Park, IL
Employee Labor Relations Consultant – Job Summary
The ELR Consultant responds to escalated inquiries from executives, managers and employees relating to workplace practices, the application of policies and standards, and means for ensuring a high-quality work environment. Provides superior customer service to all employees by promptly responding to inquiries with sensitivity and professionalism. Provides guidance and support to Human Resources (HR) colleagues to ensure department-wide compliance with relevant process and procedures in an effort to improve service delivery. Identifies process improvement opportunities and partners with the HR community and stakeholders at large to implement changes. Interprets standard administrative procedures and practices to resolve complex employee inquiries or issues.
Employee Labor Relations Consultant – Essential Job Functions
- Employee Relations Counseling:
- Provides consultation to leaders and employees in the resolution of escalated employee relations issues in accordance with existing HR policies and procedures.
- Conducts preliminary interviews, documents findings/recommendations, advises leaders dealing with employee performance issues and using discipline procedures (e.g. verbal, written warnings or termination).
- Interpretative Guidance on CBAs and HR Policies:
- Provides interpretative guidance on collective bargaining agreements (CBAs), HR policies and procedures, past practice, employment laws, reductions in force and other regulatory requirements.
- Employee Investigations:
- Oversees investigations in response to employee or management incidents or complaints.
- Conducts high risk or complex investigations requiring thorough research and involving unique circumstances.
- Employee Legal Response Support:
- Develops position statements, other written responses or documentation to employment related charges or claims.
- Works with legal counsel to prepare required documentation for negotiating and finalizing settlements.
- Provides arbitration support, including identifying witnesses, producing required documentation and making preliminary risk assessments and settlement recommendations.
- Employee Appeal Procedure:
- Serves as Step 3 hearing officer for union grievance process, conducts follow up investigations and drafts Step 3 responses.
- Conducts needs assessment and delivery of training on employee relations issues, including CBAs and related HR policies and procedures.
- Severance/Separation Agreements:
- Coordinates severance agreement preparation in accordance with severance program and policy, calculating payouts and administering claims.
- Employee Relations Tracking:
- Captures, organizes and enters employee relations-related data into tracking systems which may include tracing disciplinary action cases.
Employee Labor Relations Consultant – Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or equivalent background and experience.
- 5 or more years of prior human resource experience with healthcare background preferred.
- Experience managing Labor Relations in a union environment strongly preferred.
- Hands-on legal experience preferred.
- Certifications as a PHR or SPHR are preferred.
- Strong customer service skills, leadership and decision-making skills are needed.
- Knowledge of basic HR governance (e.g. employee relations, EEOC, FLSA, FMLA, HIPAA, employment law/regulations, etc.).
- Ability to make decisions and operate independently with respect to complex issues and business requirements with a high degree of exposure is needed.
- Must multi-task multiple projects with strong results orientation and work within tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to write and communicate concisely and clearly with persuasion and succinct styles. Needs strong listening and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in software applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Internet navigation, email, etc.).
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website