Medical Assistant, Liver Transplant Program, Full-Time, Day Shift (8-hour shifts), University of Chicago Medicine in Hyde Park, Chicago, IL
We're hiring a Medical Assistant for the Liver Transplant Program in a full-time, day shift (8-hour shifts) at the University of Chicago Medicine in Hyde Park, Chicago, IL!
A Medical Assistant is an employee who performs a wide variety of patient care services under the direct supervision of a registered nurse, advanced practice nurse (APN) or physician.
Under the direction of the above, the Medical Assistant will be responsible for providing high volume customer service and clerical support to coordinate and facilitate patient care between departments including off-site facilities under Transplant and Gastroenterology services. Travel to these off-site locations is required.
Responsibilities include but not limited to obtaining, verifying, and inputting demographic, insurance and referring physician information as required, medical records retrieval, documenting messages electronically using appropriate medical terminology, and assistance with scheduling follow up appointments and procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
- Knows and practices The University of Chicago Hospitals Pride Values and Patient Centered Care Definition and Principles.
- Performs any or all duties involving direct patient care as assigned by the registered nurse or physician and within the scope of the Nursing Policies and procedures.
- Appropriately implements and documents patient and family education as delegated by the RN or physician.
- Obtain and records vital signs.
- Assists the care provider with patient examinations or diagnostic procedures.
- Performs tests, i.e. pregnancy tests, urinalysis and hemocults etc, specific to patient population.
- Documents all aspects of patient care according to hospital policies and procedures.
- Performs phlebotomy services.
- Assists with collection of specimens. Performs labeling and logging of specimens in compliance with hospital standards.
- Assist patients with dressing and undressing when necessary.
- Administration of a medication as ordered by a physician or APN.
- Appropriately discard expired medications/supplies on a monthly basis.
- Communicates all changes in the patient's biophysical and emotional status to the Registered Nurse or Physician.
- Promotes, has knowledge of and utilizes appropriate patient care protocol relating to the physical, psychological and development needs of adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
- Utilizes computers to obtain information and schedule appointments.
- Collects, washes, prepares and monitors instruments and equipment in compliance with hospital standards.
- Transports, lifts, and assists patients in wheelchairs, stretchers, and examining tables.
- Leaves exam room clean and stocked. Contact EVS as appropriate. For minor physical plant problems, fill out work order and obtain appropriate signature. Empty needle boxes as needed.
- Clean instruments and scopes. Assure clean and sterile supplies are stocked separately. Wipe out cabinets. Ensure linen is covered.
- Check schedule regularly, monitor waiting room and exam rooms, carry out physician orders promptly and assist patient as necessary to facilitate a positive visit.
- Ensures patient care areas are always within regulatory compliance by JCAHO and CLIA.
- Incorporates cost-effective measure into practice to assure proper use of time, supplies and personnel.
- Participates in staff meetings and departmental projects as required.
- Assists with the orientation of new employees.
- Assists with data collection for research studies as requested. Typing and chart/result filing as assigned.
- Performs other duties assigned.
Job Specific Skills:
- Considerable skill in communicating verbally, in determining priorities and in organizing work; ability to maintain an organized, alphabetized filing system.
- Considerable skill in handling sensitive public contacts with discretion, tact and courtesy when dealing with patients, coworkers and physicians.
- Physical ability to perform stocking, lifting and transporting supplies and instruments.
- General working knowledge of PC. Excel, Microsoft Word for windows, OASIS and EPIC a plus.
- Computerized appointment scheduling experience preferred.
- Ability to handle stress in a fast paced environment.
- High School Graduate
- Graduate of a certified program for Medical Assistants (CMA credential)
- Current Certificate of cardiopulmonary resuscitation training
- Phlebotomy training
- Certified Medical Assistant
In this role, we anticipate that you will generally work approximately 40 hours per week. We anticipate that you will generally be scheduled to work the first shift, from approximately 8am-4:30pm and will not be scheduled for on-call shifts. We anticipate you will be scheduled to work 70% at the Hyde Park campus and 30% off site. The days of the week that you are scheduled will vary depending on the week, but we anticipate that you will be scheduled to work Monday-Friday.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website