Full-time - Nights (10:30 PM - 7:00 AM)
We're hiring for a Pre-Analytical Technician for Laboratory Service Center in Chicago IL.
Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, University of Chicago Medicine, in a new and innovative role as a Pre-Analytical Technician.
The pre-analytical technician performs phlebotomy for inpatient services, prepares specimens for testing in clinical labs or shipment to reference lab, and communicates with staff to resolve problems and provide information. Works collaboratively with colleagues, participates in process improvement projects, and trains MT students.
- Responsible for the provision of specimen receipt, assessment, and pre-analytical processing services, includes aspects of quality assurance for the area, including verification of missing information and activating a specimen rejection process as per written policies and procedures.
- Performance of waived or moderately complex testing and urgent value reporting, includes receiving specimens and requisitions for test ordering, entering orders into laboratory computer system (Sunquest)
- Verifying/reviewing orders
- Generating appropriate specimen collection labels
- Directing samples to appropriate laboratory sections
- Responding to telephone inquiries for test results and other information such as specimen collection requirements.
- Provides venipuncture collection services for Inpatient Phlebotomy or Phlebotomy Services (DCAM-Outpatient), microbiology specimen set-up (i.e. plating), and/or other types of advanced pre-analytical specimen processing services
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Must satisfy CLIA 88 qualification requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent. Associates Degree preferred.
- Appropriate training/experience in clinical laboratory science required.
- Knowledge and ability to safely use laboratory and hospital information systems.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to use automated/conventional laboratory equipment.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with colleagues and other healthcare workers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required.
- Appropriate training/experience in performing venipunctures.
Located in Historic Hyde Park, UChicago Medicine is a not-for-profit integrated and academic health system of hospital and physician services, providing world class care since 1927. UChicago Medicine operates four hospitals and a state-of-the-art ambulatory-care facility located within a medical center campus of twenty interconnected buildings, along with several satellite facilities situated throughout Chicago's south suburbs. In addition, Ingalls Memorial Hospital is located outside of the main medical campus in Harvey, IL. Today, UChicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Division, including Ingalls Memorial Hospital encompass over 800 beds and employ nearly 12,000 people, which includes more than 800 attending physicians, 1100 residents and fellows, and 2,600 nurses.
UChicago Medicine's mission is to provide superior health care in a compassionate manner, ever mindful of each patient's dignity and individuality. UChicago Medicine has established a market identity “At the Forefront of Medicine”, and has consistently been able to attract a critical mass of talented physicians, healthcare professionals and staff to treat the most complex clinical problems. In recognition of this excellence, U.S. News and World Report rank many of our programs as among the best in the United States.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website