UDR, Inc. is now hiring a Manager - Technical Accounting to join our team at our corporate office in Highlands Ranch.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for performing technical accounting research, collaborating with other departments to assess accounting issues, preparation of related memorandums and documentation and assisting with quarterly SEC reporting. Ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) financial reporting requirements in execution of those responsibilities.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Vice President – SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: N/A
1. Serve as a technical resource for the company on GAAP and SEC matters, including researching and drafting technical memoranda to present conclusions to management and external auditors.
2. Apply a strong knowledge of accounting practices around joint venture structures, real estate transaction accounting, lease accounting, construction accounting, and stock-based compensation programs.
3. Review accounting analyses around complex joint venture structures.
4. Assist Manager - SEC Reporting with quarterly and annual filings to ensure SEC reports are filed timely and accurately, including preparing quarterly analyses and memoranda, such as statement of cash flows worksheet, GAAP checklist and related parties testing.
5. Ensure compliance with SEC and GAAP reporting requirements including evaluating and implementing the impact of recent and proposed pronouncements.
6. Assess new guidance from regulatory bodies and determine impact to the Company.
7. Prepare data relative to complex transactions or clarifying accounting/tax positions.
8. Collaborate with other groups and/or departments to assess accounting issues and related reporting implications.
9. Provide quarterly and year-end client assistance to the external auditing firm.
10. Support month-end and quarter-end close and related reporting.
11. Support annual filing of non-public reports timely and accurately, including joint venture financial statements and statutory audits.
12. Assist in developing, documenting, and maintaining accounting processes and procedures.
13. Assist in documentation and monitoring of internal controls related to external reporting and other areas, as needed.
14. Perform other duties as assigned or as necessary.
- Knowledge of organizational policies and procedures. Knowledge and understanding of business concepts and research principles, processes, and techniques. Follows established policies and procedures in compliance with GAAP. Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, and the analysis and reporting of financial data. Ability to apply policies and procedures to solve everyday and/or complex Company issues.
- Demonstrates understanding of advanced accounting concepts. Ability to develop and prepare business analysis and plans. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports and legal documents. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple projects simultaneously to meet critical deadlines.
- Strong working knowledge and experience of Sarbanes-Oxley compliance. Knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley documentation procedures. Knowledge of the principles of strategic business decision-making.
- Perform duties that require strong comprehension, analytical, research, composition, communication, and organizational skills. Ability to work in conjunction with Company managers, customers and associates. Knowledge of fiscal management and office management techniques. Strong personnel management skills. Ability to quickly develop strong internal working relationships. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Proficient in the use of spreadsheet, relational database, and word processing software. Ability to process computer data and to format and generate reports. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials. Knowledgeable in Peoplesoft, WebFilings, Merrill Bridge and Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point software applications.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Occasionally lifting items weighing up to 30 lbs. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate reports. Extensive data input and required ability to sit for long periods of time. Regular and consistent attendance on the job is an essential function.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office environment. Occasional evening or weekend work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor's degree in Accounting; CPA required.
2. Minimum of four years of public accounting experience working significantly on audits of public companies or a minimum of six years of experience in corporate-level financial positions at publicly traded companies.
3. Minimum of four years of SEC reporting experience with significant 10-Q and 10-K experience, or some combination of both.
4. Prior Big 4 experience preferred.
5. Prior real estate experience preferred.
6. Experience with PeopleSoft and Merrill Bridge or equivalent XBRL software preferred.
7. Must have and maintain a valid driver's license unless otherwise noted.
• Medical, Dental, Vision Plans
• Medical Flexible Spending Account
• Dependent Care Spending Account
• Supplemental Term Life Insurance
• Voluntary Cancer Insurance
• Supplemental Short-Term Disability Insurance / AD&D Insurance
• Voluntary Long Term Care Insurance
• 401(k) Plan with company match
• $82,983/yr. (minimum) - $120,900/yr. (maximum), depends on experience
• Eligible for 15% annual bonus potential, based on personal and company performance
Apply on company website