Graduate Nurse (GN) – Observation Unit (5 West)
After applying online you must complete the "GN/GVN requirements packet" in order to be reviewed. We anticipate receiving your documents within one week of application submission. Please Click here to get the GN requirements.
- 5 West Observation Unit (5W OBS) is a designated, 34-bed medical unit where adult patients in need of additional monitoring, diagnostic evaluation, and/or treatment may be monitored while a clinical decision is being made whether to admit the patient for hospitalization or discharge the patient home. 5W OBS is fast-paced with a goal length of stay 48 hours or less. Our employees possess good time management skills, excellent communication skills, ability to think critically think, and a passion for a short-stay fast-paced environment. The nurse will have an essential role in coordinating care with physicians, other team members, patients, and families. The unit is focused on continuously improving processes to improve patient care and patient flow. 5W OBS is very team orientated and delivers quality nursing care to every patient that seeks our expertise.
- Assesses, implements or delegates, plans, and evaluates total nursing care and functions in accordance with established philosophy, providing and directing patient care for a group of patients. Relates effectively with other shifts/departments for optimal continuity of care.
- Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing
- Valid Texas GN Permit or newly licensed RN with no experience
- BSN required or must be obtained within 3 years of hire
- Must maintain a current BLS certification from American Heart Association
- UMC Hospital Orientation & Nursing Orientation
- Unit specific orientation to be determined by the hiring department
- Orientation length is individually based and will be determined by Director
- Galen E-learning Curriculum Modules / Online Nursing Competency Validation
- Cerner electronic documentation training
- Sign on bonus and relocation assistance available (if applicable)
- Educational Reimbursement for pursing BSN/MSN after 90 days of employment (if applicable)
- Flexible scheduling
- No mandatory floating/overtime
- Mentor program
- Nurse Residency program
- Health Insurance with Low Deductibles, Low Premiums, and Comprehensive Coverage
- Dental and Vision
- Paid Time Off (Sell Back Option of Unused PTO over 80 hours Twice a Year)
- 403b Retirement with up to 8% match with tenure
- Free Life Insurance
- Tax Saving Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical and/or Dependent Care
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Apply on company website