Delay Notice: Due to the current health crisis, candidate selection or hiring steps may be delayed.
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the intimacy of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university.
Initial Review Date (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 05-27-2021
Dept Marketing Statement
The Seymour Marine Discovery Center (SMDC), founded in 2000, serves as the outreach and public education component of the Institute of Marine Sciences at the University of California Santa Cruz. The SMDC educates people of all ages about marine science research and ocean conservation. The Center consists of a 17,500-square-foot facility with additional outdoor features on a cliff above the Pacific Ocean located on the UC Santa Cruz Coastal Campus.
The Admissions and Retail Operations Coordinator works primarily at the admissions/information station at the Seymour Center and assists with other operational tasks as needed. This position also oversees the operations of the Ocean Discovery Shop (ODS), a small museum store that supports the Center's mission through the sale of marine science focused books, toys and apparel. This position reports to the Operations Manager.
More information can be found at: https://seymourcenter.ucsc.edu/
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: $18.72/hour
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Monday through Sunday
Shift Includes: Day, Evenings, Weekend
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Coastal Science Campus: LML - Seymour Center
Union Representation: Yes - CX Union
Job Code Classification: 004724 (BLANK AST 1)
60% - Admissions Desk Operations
- Operates and maintains a professional admissions and information station. Collects admission fees, welcomes and orients the visiting public. Implements parking validation system. Provides varied information regarding Seymour Center programs and operations.
- Maintains welcome/reception area in a professional manner. Makes clear announcements over the public address system.
- Opens and closes the admissions station using safe cash handling. Prepares daily deposits for admission fees and Ocean Discovery Shop sales.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and schedules college student employees who work at the admissions and information station.
20% - Reservations
- Coordinates daily tours and other daily or periodic educational activities in conjunction with the floor manager.
- Books group visits based on detailed Seymour Center guidelines, using multi-line phone, e-mail, and FileMaker Pro database. Produces appropriate communications for affected Seymour Center education and operations staff. Produces specific correspondence for each tour leader. Manages reservations for specialty tours that occur at various times each month.
- Processes fee transactions for all reserved groups and individuals.
10% - Ocean Discovery Shop Operations
- Manages daily gift and bookstore operations, including cashiering and maintaining a clean and attractive retail site. Assists with receiving and stocking inventory. Assists with store-related events such as the Jingle Shells holiday event, promotional sales, or annual inventory.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and schedules college student employees who work at in the ODS.
10% - General Operations and Marketing Assistance
- Compiles visitor statistics and prepares reports each month from database. Implement general advertising for Seymour Center events, including calendar listings (~15 monthly) social media communications, e-newsletters or other marketing/advertising efforts.
- Provides assistance with daily operations of the Seymour Center. Duties may include assisting with events or serving as back-up liaison to clients renting the Center's public spaces for business or social functions. Serves as back up for Seymour Center administrative office, handling incoming phone calls, mail, and daily opening and secure lock up for entire facility. Provides clerical support to management staff as needed. Drives a university vehicle to pick up or deliver office/program supplies or make deposits (public transportation is not available). Attends and reports on admissions activities at staff meetings.
- Experience with cash handling, operating a point of sale system and preparing daily cash reports.
- Experience with database, spreadsheet, word-processing and email programs.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interact diplomatically and effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
- Excellent customer service, email and telephone skills, including the ability to provide accurate event and program information.
- Ability to train and supervise a variety of college student employees and work well with volunteers of all ages, experience and skillsets.
- Ability and willingness to learn new processes, procedures and policies.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Good judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Experience working in the retail environment, serving customers, operating a register and providing high quality customer service.
- Familiarity with daily operations of a busy museum or visitors center.
- Experience addressing groups of various sizes and ages, from preschool to VIP guests.
- Basic knowledge of or interest in marine science.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the State of California, and be able to participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles pull notice program.
- Must be able and willing to work frequent evenings, weekends or holidays as needed.
- Must be willing to work one weekend day as a regular schedule.
- Must be willing to work both weekend days or occasional evenings as schedule requires.
- Must be willing to work holidays as necessary.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds, physically access shop and service areas, and perform light cleaning duties.
- Must be willing to wear a uniform on a regular basis.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
How to Apply
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Apply on company website