Delay Notice: Due to the current health crisis, candidate selection or hiring steps may be delayed.
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the intimacy of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university.
Initial Review Date (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be
routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at
the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
Initial Review Date (IRD): 06-11-2021
Dept Marketing Statement
Working within the Real Estate and Contract Services Unit of Financial Affairs, the Building and Customer Service Coordinator is responsible for the coordination and oversight of all facility support services for the MBEST building and other locations as assigned. This is accomplished by applying campus policies and procedures to properly manage the facility's operational activities and services, including space planning, general maintenance and operations, front desk reception and call center triage, facilitating, coordinating, and tracking of repair services, move planning and coordination, apply and contribute to the development of procedures, policies and communications related to infrastructure and safety.
Under general supervision and oversight of the Finance & Operations Manager, the incumbent provides reception-oriented customer services as well as coordinates facility operational support services for the UC MBEST Center, or at other locations as assigned. Applies campus policies and procedures to resolve a variety of facilities management issues. Establishes safety and security procedures, coordinates moves, and serves as the emergency contact for the building. Works on facilities management problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. This position requires a high level of professionalism, independent thinking, problem solving, and decision making. Assists with departmental administrative and operational work.
Real Estate and Contract Services, a unit of Financial Affairs, supports the UC Santa Cruz academic vision by managing and overseeing all real property acquisitions and divestitures, ground leasing, leases, licenses, easements, and real property assets for the campus. Under the direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor & Campus Controller and the Director of Real Estate and Contract Services, the unit ensures all Business Contract and real property transactions support the primary mission of the campus as well as its strategic priorities and objectives.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Range Information: $24.24 - $29.00/Hourly. Salary commensurate with qualifications and
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits.
Schedule Information: Full-time, Fixed
Percentage of Time: 80%
Average Hours Per Week: 32
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Days
Employee Classification: This is a Career Appointment
Job End Date: None
Title Code:  FAC MGT SPEC 2
Location: MBEST Center, Marina, CA
Union Representation: Non-represented
40%: Operational and Facility Support
- Under the direction of the supervisor, coordinates and manages day-to-day operations and facility maintenance and repair efforts at the UC MBEST Center including development and implementation maintenance and operation service schedules, frequencies, procurement and coordination of service vendors/contractors, oversight of all maintenance and repair services and communications with tenants.
- Acts as the Building Coordinator for emergency/disaster preparedness for assigned venues, serves as the communication liaison between the department and building occupants, prepares building emergency response plans, and coordinates emergency response education and training for building occupants. May act as representative to a safety committee, building emergency committee, and is responsible for compliance with OSHA/EH&S regulations regarding state and organization policies.
- Conducts routine periodic inspections of all building areas for maintenance, repair, security, fire, and other hazards and takes action as necessary to ensure appropriate resolution of such issues. This can include but is not limited to documenting and reporting issues, including infractions of fire and building codes, building rules and other building irregularities to the supervisor and other University personnel, developing recommended solutions for approval by the supervisor, and, upon approval, coordinating prompt resolution including efforts with other University departments and personnel. Reports any signs of danger to property or human health and safety to supervisor and takes immediate steps to reduce near-term danger. Reports any signs of trespass on the facility including grounds to supervisor and campus police.
- Serves as "Department Access Key Controller" as defined by the UCPD Access Control Policy, which requires maintenance of accurate records for all access control activities, ensuring appropriate authority prior to issuing keys, ordering replacement keys as needed, recovering keys from departing personnel or tenants, reporting any failure to recover access control keys to department management and UCPD, and securely storing unassigned keys in the department's UCPD-approved cabinets.
- For assigned areas, acts as equipment custodian through the equipment tracking system(s) and conducts inventory controls, including processing and maintaining records of equipment issuance requests.
- Coordinates and carries out department signage, display and promotional needs in compliance with applicable University signage policies, procedures, and programs.
- Coordinates communications and provides facility related information to tenants, including the proper operation of basic building systems, such as thermostat controls, lighting, access, and custodial services. Maintain and ensures information concerning facility maps, usage and occupancy are kept up to date with information reported to other University facility and space tracking systems, as required.
- Prepares and submits periodic reports on facility usage, occupancy, maintenance and condition.
- Acts as backup front desk and facilities support for SVC and Chancellor's house; will need to drive to alternate locations, as needed.
30%: Customer Support
- Serve as landlord's representative for the UC MBEST Center.
- Provides outstanding customer support and a positive first impression for visitors, guests and tenants.
- Performs front counter duties, which includes answering the phone and responding to voicemails, responding to email, accepting incoming mail and package deliveries, scheduling conference rooms, and tracking and resolving facility work order requests.
- Distributes facility-wide communications related to disruptive building repairs, safety bulletins, and changes to policies.
- As directed by supervisor, coordinates communications in response to space inquiries and prospective tenants; this includes coordination with real estate brokers and agents, where directed.
- Ensures tenants are provided with information and are aware of important facility and safety related issues.
- Responds to and resolves tenant complaints related to the facility and shared space, seeking guidance from the supervisor when necessary. Carries cell phone and remains on call 24 hours to respond to emergency calls and issues.
30%: Administrative Support
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, monitors and processes all income and expense for all activities related to the UC MBEST Center and surrounding parcels, which include collecting rent and preparing deposits, in accordance with UCSC cash handling policies and procedures.
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, assists with the preparation and submission of financial documents, including reimbursement paperwork for all entertainment and travel expenses, recharge, check requests and other forms as appropriate.
- Assists with scheduling Real Estate meetings, as needed. Attends, take notes and distributes information for various meetings, as needed.
- Sorts and distributes department incoming mail.
- Provides photocopying, scanning and distribution of documents.
- Supports maintenance of department file storage, both hard copy and electronic.
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, submits requisitions for procurement of facility management services and supplies, which includes seeking multiple quotes to ensure best pricing or seeking bids from vendors, processing quotes for approval of vendor work, processing vendor invoices for payment.
- Composes, reviews, edits, proofreads and formats real estate related communications, forms or documents, as needed.
- Purchases supplies, supports work related to bid proposals.
- Maintains and updates the front counter procedures manual ensuring all updates are reviewed and approved by supervisor prior to implementation.
- Maintains basic user instructions for conference room systems.
- Maintains department spreadsheets and databases, as needed.
- Maintains and updates department web-site by participating in Financial Affairs Website group meeting, as needed.
- Maintains building-wide calendars, which include scheduling of the roadway, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's degree and / or equivalent experience, which may be obtained through three to five years in a property management position in the private sector or a position at a governmental agency involving facilities management.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures relating to facility maintenance.
- Written communication skills to prepare a variety of correspondence, reports, policies and procedures, and training documents.
- Skills to work under pressure of changing deadlines in a stressful environment.
- Active listening, interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills to effectively resolve questions, concerns, issues or problems and ensure cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Skills to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent organizational skills to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines, to establish goals and work load priorities, and to meet project deadlines within budget and time constraints.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures of safety and emergency preparedness.
- Experience performing reception duties in a customer-service focused environment with emphasis on problem resolution, effectiveness, professionalism, tact, and integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including pleasant telephone manner and ability to exercise tact in working with a diverse population, and maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated computer skills including email communications, word processing, spreadsheets and google tools.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, concisely and accurately when giving information to both external clients and internal staff.
- Ability to write grammatically correct routine business correspondence.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality requirements pertaining to sensitive data.
- Basic accounting skills.
- Experience in coordinating and scheduling logistics for small and large group meetings and events.
- Ability to organize and maintain computerized databases.
- Ability to take accurate notes in a timely fashion.
- Strong commitment to maintaining a safety culture throughout the work environment.
- Skills in record management (paper based and electronic).
- Licenses: California Driver's License.
- Ability to contribute appropriately to management of projects by providing cost estimates, technical advice in planning and problem solving, construction or moving coordination.
- Experience in facilities planning or project administration and motivation and skill to initiate planning and programming for upcoming projects.
- Experience working in a higher education or government agency environment.
- Experience with building security, lock systems and procedures.
- Experience with utility modifications or an understanding of utility systems and their functioning.
- Experience with and knowledge of financial and budget management principals, general accounting practices, development of budgets, budget reconciliation, and forecasting.
- Experience with and knowledge of real property lease interpretation in order to verify compliance with financial terms.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- This is a part-time, 80%, position that works twenty (32) hours a week with a consistent schedule, Monday- Friday from 9:00 a.m. thru 4:30 p.m. Business needs may occasionally require evening and weekend hours in order to ensure assigned tasks and duties are completed as well as the ability to travel as required to conduct State business.
- The position works in a wide variety of environments including both a typical office environment as well as a facility/building and construction-oriented environment. As such, the position requires: 1) the ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time, 2) ability to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally, 3) ability to conduct outdoor site visits, including use of required personal protective equipment, as required to conduct investigations, inspections, or view work in place, 4) ability to sustain exposure to dusty, noisy environments and inclement weather as necessary to carry out assigned duties and responsibilities, and 5) ability to climb to a height in excess of fifteen feet, and 6) ability to drive to locations of work.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the State of California, and be able to undergo a driving record review.
- Primary location of employment for the position is the UC Santa Cruz MBEST Center located at 3180 Imjin Road, Marina, California.
- Travel to the Real Estate and Contract Services office in the SVC building, located at 100 Enterprise Way, Scotts Valley, CA and to the main campus, located at 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA, will be occasionally necessary.
All UCSC employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
How to Apply
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Apply on company website