At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what's possible for the patients we serve – a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as seventh in the country – UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
Position is located in San Francisco, CA.
The Controller directs the accounting and financial reporting area of UCSF health. The Controller guards the financial resources of the organization by managing, developing, and monitoring financial and internal controls.
The Controller is responsible for ensuring that the financial information for the organization is timely and accurate by establishing policies and procedures that can be implemented and tracked throughout the accounting process. Drives process improvements by constantly challenging current processes and seeking best practices. The Controller responsibility encompasses Accounting, Financial Reporting and Accounts Payable.
Participates with other senior managers to establish strategic plans and objectives. Makes final decisions on administrative or operational matters and ensures operations' effective achievement of objectives. Reviews and approves recommendations for operational planning and control. Erroneous decisions will have a serious impact on the overall success of department, division, or organization.
- Minimum of nine years experience in finance, accounting, business and systems operations and regulatory compliance requirements
- Minimum of seven years of managerial experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related area and / or equivalent experience / training
- Advanced knowledge of the organization's operational, personnel, and financial transactions and systems
- Ability to provide guidance and direction to subordinate supervisors and managers for achievement of objectives (operational and budget processes, staff FTE, finance, human resources, and space planning)
- Proven ability to identify process improvements and lead process owners through successful change management
- Advanced interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across the organization at all levels
- Advanced skills using common desktop / web applications
- Advanced service orientation skills; excellent skills in management and leadership; advanced ability to use critical thinking, sound judgment, and decision-making skills to creatively solve problems
- Advanced knowledge of accounting best practices
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Health locations
- Healthcare experience in finance/accounting or Public Accounting experience with focus in healthcare clients
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Thorough knowledge of the organization's operational, personnel, and financial transactions and systems
- Experience with large organizations
- University Accounting experience
- Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) experience
- Advanced Excel skills/ PowerPoint
- Database skills
Living Pride Standards
- Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center's values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
- Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
- Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
- Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
- Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
- Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
- Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
- Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.
The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Health locations is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Further information about the University of California, San Francisco, is available at diversity.ucsf.edu. UCSF seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.
Apply on company website