The University of California, Riverside's Housing, Dining, and Hospitality Services is currently recruiting for a 10-month Cook (scheduled 10 months of the year, which means the employee will be scheduled off generally from July through August as leave without pay days). This posting may also be used to fill future Cook positions, to include partial- and full-year career positions.
The Cook is responsible for providing team leadership, training, and support in production and/or service of one or more food products for a specific station or multiple stations or units from a specified menu. Adheres to all food handling and sanitation guidelines. Follows established timelines for food production as required by customer flow. Interacts with team members and guests in a high volume dining setting. Incumbents typically train and or lead one or more Assistant Cooks, Sr. Food Service Workers or Students in proper food preparation, service, and sanitation.
Housing, Dining, and Hospitality Services supports the global campus community by nourishing and delighting our student guests, faculty and staff with outstanding cuisine, cutting-edge menus and delivering exceptional customer service. The selected candidate will work daily with a team of committed professionals focused on "above the line" accountability and results! We are looking for accomplished professionals interested in continuing our cultivation of the latest trends in collegiate retail and residential services, promoting and shaping sound sustainable business practices, and to help us prepare our department for imminent and planned growth with many new, innovative and remodeled facilities coming on-line over the next few years. Minimum Requirements 1. Three (3) years recent experience in food preparation and general maintenance of a kitchen area; or an equivalent combination of Culinary Arts Coursework and experience.
2. Recent experience working in a high volume restaurant or food service operation and proven ability to perform effectively under conditions of fluctuating workload.
3. Knowledge and experience in performing various standard cooking methods including but not limited to braising, broiling, grilling, stir-frying, blanching, steaming, sauteing, frying, baking, proofing and glazing.
4. Experience in operating equipment commonly found in a large production kitchen or retail kitchen and experience in performing the basic principles of food preparation and handling, including standardized recipes, batch cooking, and proper temperatures for storage and service.
5. Demonstrated skill in cutting, slicing and measuring dry and liquid food ingredients in units of measurement, such as cup, pint, ounce, quart and pound and demonstrated skill in reading instructions and understanding common food preparation measurements and terms.
6. Knowledge of general rules of and procedures for sanitation and safety as it applies to food preparation areas, kitchens and storage areas.
7. Demonstrated skill in performing basic arithmetic calculations, such as adding and subtracting whole numbers, decimals and fractions, as is necessary to perform the job responsibilities.
8. Demonstrated skill in communicating effectively and professionally using tact and diplomacy, skill to write legibly and record information as necessary to perform job responsibilities.
9. Proven ability to read, speak and understand English sufficient to determine and carry out job duties and communicate effectively with supervisors, co-workers, and customers.
10. Ability to successfully complete Serve Safe Food Safety Certification with a minimum score of 75 within six months of the appointment.
Ability to work varying work schedules, which may consist of working nights, weekends, and holidays.
Must successfully complete a pre-employment, post-offer physical and background check through the DOJ and FBI prior to appointment start date.
Must wear University issued uniform and ID badge.
Injury Illness Prevention Program Guidelines:
- Work in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. Comply with applicable policies and procedures and regulations, using personal safety gear, observing warning signs, learning about potential hazards, and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Must be able to exert well-paced mobility of up to four hours in length and stand continuously throughout an eight hour shift on uncarpeted surfaces.
- Must be able to move 20 pounds frequently and 50 pounds occasionally following proper safety guidelines.
- Must be able to stand, walk, climb, stoop, push, pull, reach, and crouch for extended periods of time, as required to complete job assignments.
- Ability to work in temperature extremes, continuous noise, and physical risks found in food service environments. Preferred Qualifications 1. Recent demonstrated experience in leading the process of team based meal production.
2. Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service.
3. Demonstrated recent experience within a customer service oriented environment responding to and meeting/exceeding the needs of the customer.
4. Computer skills sufficient to use Excel, Word, Access, and web-based programs to prepare or input data into reports.
5. Recent demonstrated experience in large volume food preparation, customer service and food safety.
6. Culinary School Certificate or degree.
7. Experience working in dining services within the college and university environment. Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
- UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
- In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Apply on company website