At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 23, 2021
UC Berkeley Extension is one of the largest and oldest continuing education operations thriving in the United States, with 2,000 professional development and personal enrichment classes and approximately 38,000 enrollments annually. The UC Berkeley Extension Information Technology team has developed a large portfolio of applications and services ranging from departmental and administrative support to enterprise mission critical, among them Extension's Student Information System, primary website, and data warehouse.
Extension is looking for an experienced full-stack developer to help develop and maintain an ecosystem of best in class tools and solutions. Working individually or among a team of IT peers, the position will focus on projects of varying size, complexity, and urgency to enhance IT's capability to support the organization with creative yet meaningful solutions to a wide variety of challenges. Projects may range from data heavy to UI sensitive, leveraging API's or integration platforms to connect and extend functionalities across enterprise or departmental applications, to creating or enhancing existing solutions via custom web or mobile apps.
The best candidate will be comfortable contributing to brainstorm sessions and helping to conceiving of ambitious solutions, developing both client and server software, and working across technologies required to get the job done. Whether leading a formal build to spec or creating scrappy functional POC designs in a skunkworks style, the candidate will bring clever resourcefulness to the job, strong analytical and problem-solving skills and prove to be a quick learner able to work independently as well as in a a fast paced, collaborative team environment; ability to integrate disparate systems to create a cohesive ecosystem and graceful student experience across applications such as Destiny Student Information System, Campus Solutions Student Information System, Canvas Learning Management System, Salesforce, Explorance Blue Course Evaluations platform, Service Cloud, Drupal, digital signage, Einstein and Tensorflow, etc..
- Manages systems and services for a facility of moderate size comprising multiple, integrated systems.
- Performs moderately complex analysis to acquire, install, modify and support operating systems, software, databases, utilities and / or tools.
- Applies and manages complex security configurations.
- Identifies, evaluates and develops complex systems, processes and procedures. Creates complex specifications for systems to meet end- user requirements.
- Plans, designs, develops, modifies, debugs, deploys, supports and evaluates complex software and scripts.
- Develops enterprise and/or departmental supportive web apps, for example a secure interface to legacy, FERPA governed Student Information System data; integration of digital signage platform and displays with student information system room assignments, or room reservation system for staff.
- Automate solutions to recurring tasks, processes or problems, for example recurring manual uploads of timely data; end user authentication issues; intricate, mandatory annual taxation processes.
- Develops complex user interface designs.
- Applies professional and broadly defined data and information administration and data analysis concepts to manage and perform complex assignments.
- Provisions data access for other IT professionals, data analysts and business analysts and applies security practices through controls or moderately complex programming.
- Designs, develops and maintains data integrations between key enterprise systems and technologies such as Destiny Student Information System, Campus Solutions Student Information System, Canvas Learning Management System, Salesforce, Explorance Blue Course Evaluations platform, Service Cloud, Drupal, digital signage, Einstein and Tensorflow, etc..
- Performs complex data management operations for a variety of constituents such as custom reports, queries, or procedures, and plans metadata acquisition for sets of unstructured data objects
- May serve as technical lead for software development projects of varying size, complexity, and urgency. Applies advanced concepts in working on moderately complex to complex projects, including the management of structured and unstructured content.
- Negotiates with stakeholders on the creation of software specifications and negotiates project plans with stakeholders
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes business and user needs, documenting requirements, and revising existing system and process logic issues as necessary.
- Independently analyzes complex information requirements and documents them using formal data definition techniques and naming standards
- Initiates, designs and communicates with senior level personnel regarding database administration studies, summary reports and background material including approaches, trends, and sources.
- Understands and applies industry practices, community standards and department/unit policies and procedures relating to work assignments. May serve as technical lead for projects of varying sizes and scope.
- Troubleshoots and resolves the most complex issues. Designs and coordinates work flow of support requests, setting priorities and tracking resolution. Ensures compliance with and provides input to service level agreements.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with proven ability to thrive in a collaborative environment.
- Advanced skills associated with software design, application architecture (especially Java and Angularjs), modification, implementation and deployment. Proven knowledge of secure software development. Demonstrated ability to create complex software specifications.
- Proficient with client and server and cloud application architectures, infrastructure components, and design elements.
- Experience with common IaaS and PaaS like Google and Amazon; UNIX, Linux, and Windows OS's; networks; local and cloud storage, transactional and structured data, UX/UI, etc.
- Strong experience with database administration, structures, and platforms such as SQL, MySQL Oracle, data lakes, Python, etc. Advanced database querying and modeling skills working with moderately complex databases and disparate data sources. Proven ability to work with data to manipulate, transform, and move data using APIs, integration platforms, JSON, among others.
- Proven ability to learn and comprehend interrelationship of multiple complex applications and databases.
- Thorough knowledge of business and process analysis functions. Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- Broad knowledge of the application development industry, strong grasp of rapidly advancing programming trends, tools, and paradigms, and the proven ability to learn new relevant skills.
- Advanced knowledge of computer security tools, best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing server-based software. Demonstrated skill at administering moderately complex security controls and configurations to computer hardware, software and networks.
- Demonstrated testing, and test planning, and problem solving skills.
- Comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system users and dependent / related functions.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Reliable judgement to provision solutions and contributions that are consistently intentional, impactful, and of the highest caliber.
- Experience with statistical and graphic-centric tools and languages such as R, Tableau, Google Data Studio, PowerBI, Google Analytics and others
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience with Student Information Systems.
- Demonstrated ability to install software and troubleshoot and repair moderately complex problems with computing devices, peripherals and software. Understanding of and experience troubleshooting client, server and peripherals- related issues and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance. Experience in incident response and digital forensics, including data collection, examination and analysis.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, 2 year contract position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
Apply on company website