Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory's (LBNL) National Energy Research Scientific Computing (NERSC) Center Division has an opening for a passionate Scientific Data Architect. In this exciting role, you will collaborate with scientists to meet their Data, AI, and Analytics needs using NERSC supercomputers.
NERSC is the principal provider of high performance computing services to the Department of Energy's Office of Science programs and is currently deploying Perlmutter, featuring a GPU partition with over 6000 GPUs as well as an all-flash filesystem and high-performance networking for data-centric computing. The Data and Analytics Services Group at NERSC is responsible for providing data, AI, and analytics software, services, and support for NERSC systems.
In this critical role, you will be responsible for ensuring NERSC systems have a high performing data and AI software stack available for NERSC users and providing guidance for NERSC's data management, transfer, storage, and I/O tools and services. You will also be part of multidisciplinary and cross-institution projects, involving leading scientists and instruments from around the world.
What You Will Do:
- Assure that NERSC systems provide a high performing and usable software stack for data analytics, machine learning, data management, or data transfer workloads.
- Provide expert guidance on user support, including one-on-one support, training, and documentation on data and analytics services at NERSC.
- Build partnerships and collaborations with scientists from across Berkeley Lab and the Department of Energy Office of Science community.
- Work on and resolve complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Stay abreast of new and emerging data analytics and AI research and trends, through R&D collaborations, literature, workshops, and conferences; translate these new directions into actionable opportunities for NERSC or NERSC users.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Mentor early career staff members in data analytics, data transfer, data management, and AI/ML techniques.
- Develop strategies for addressing and improving both performance, as well as productivity requirements of the NERSC data science community.
- Work on and resolve significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangibles.
What is Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Physical Sciences, Computer Science or related field and 8 years experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency in at least one data technology is required. Relevant technologies include machine learning, data analytics, data management tools, I/O, storage systems, workflow tools, and databases.
- Experience working with scientific domains and scientific datasets.
- Experience in developing code in at least one language including C/C++ and Python.
- Good knowledge of the Linux environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a cross-disciplinary team.
- Masters and Ph.D. degrees in Physical Sciences, Computer Science or related fields.
- Experience of multiple data technologies and coding languages.
- Experience of developing and maintaining high quality software documentation and conducting training and outreach activities.
- Experience with the Production HPC environment and deploying services at scale.
- Understanding of single-node performance (code optimization) and multi-node scaling issues for the data science portfolio.
Applicants should attach a CV/resume as well as a cover letter introducing yourself and describing your interest in the position.
- This is a full-time, career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to hire individuals from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives who share these same values and commitments.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
Apply on company website