This is a CAMPUS ONLY recruitment. Only current employees, or former employees with current Preferential Rehire rights will be considered for this position. Former employees with Preferential Rehire rights should apply through the external candidate gateway and identify themselves as such in their application to be considered for this position.
Current UCSC employees must apply to the job posting in the Internal Candidate Gateway. You can access the internal job posting at the link below.
If you are a current UCSC employee and apply through the External Candidate Gateway, you will not be considered for this position.
Delay Notice: Due to the current health crisis, candidate selection or hiring steps may be delayed.
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the intimacy of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university.
Initial Review Date (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 05-27-2021
Dept Marketing Statement
Effective May 1, 2020, the UCSC Colligan Clinical Diagnostic Lab was approved as a temporary testing site by the California Department of Public Health, under Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) certificate of accreditation – CDF-00002057, CLIA # 05D0687329 to provide COVID-19 testing. The lab will operate within the guidance and regulations put forward by the State of California, the County of Santa Cruz, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), and the FDA. To meet the anticipated demand for COVID-19 testing in Santa Cruz County, a Technical Team Lead is needed to assist the Colligan Clinical Diagnostic Lab with processing laboratory specimens and results under the general direction of laboratory personnel and UCSC faculty.
The Technical Team Lead for the Colligan Clinical Diagnostic Lab will support COVID-19 testing through key responsibilities including: developing and modifying diagnostic assays, running high-throughput instrumentation, performing validations studies, training and advising Laboratory Technicians, preparing and distributing testing materials for partner clinical providers, preparing positive samples for sequencing, receiving samples and ensuring sample integrity, operating testing protocols, processing test results, and problem-solving issues that arise. Additional duties may include acting as the Lab Safety Representative, contributing to drafting/modifying policies, procedures and other written documentation relating to UCSC SARS-CoV-2 testing, and contributing to effective team operations. The UCSC SARS-CoV-2 qPCR Assay is a molecular in vitro diagnostic test that aids in the detection and diagnosis 2019-nCoV and is based on widely used nucleic acid amplification technology. The RNA is isolated and purified from anterior nasal swab upper respiratory specimens.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: Salary Range: $35.92 - $40.71/hour. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri, with a Saturday or Sunday
Shift Includes: Day, Evenings, Weekend
Employee Classification: This is a Contract appointment
Job End Date: 6 months from hire date, with possibility of extension
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz main campus
Union Representation: None
Job Code Classification: 006256 (RSCH DATA ANL 2)
- Provide leadership to the MDL by developing and modifying diagnostic assays, training Laboratory Technicians on COVID-19 sample analysis, and performing validation studies.
- Perform COVID-19 diagnostic testing pursuant to Standard Operating Procedures. Identify and report any irregular results or properties of the key experimental reagents. Identify and track issues with samples and isolate points of failure.
- Collaborate and contribute to laboratory procedures and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) documentation; gather and analyze research and clinical data; prepare and summarize information and / or recommendations, including potentiall laboratry safety representative functions.
- Prepare positive COVID-19 samples for sequencing.
- Accessioning and tracking incoming clinical samples using the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Bachelor's of Science degree in related area.
- Experience working in a research or clinical laboratory.
- Working knowledge of research functions.
- Skills in data management and data security.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Demonstated analytical skills.
- Strong oral communication skills, with the ability to provide information in a clear and concise manner and actively listen.
- Ability to work independently.
- Experience developing and modifying diagnostic assays.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with people from a wide-variety of ethnic, socio-economic, professional and educational backgrounds, with professionalism and the ability to celebrate differences.
- Wrting skills sufficient to draft clean and concise correspondance.
- Experience using standard personal computing tools including spreadsheets, databases, and word processing software.
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team.
- Ph.D. in related area and/or equivalent years of experience / training.
- Experience working in a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) certified laboratory environment.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accessibility) training within 10 days of hire.
All UCSC employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
How to Apply
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Apply on company website