Hours per Week: 20 - 25 hrs/wk Position Overview:
To provide vital support to the Communications Team while gaining hands-on experience in non-profit public relations, marketing, communications and fundraising.
Department Specific Essential Job Functions:
- Draft and distribute media advisories, press releases and pitch memos to local media outlets
- Organize and maintain press kits and other collateral material
- Maintain media lists and contact databases
- Participate in brainstorming, planning and strategy sessions as directed
- Write copy for web site, brochures, other communications tools as needed
- Assist with management of press clippings, including reporting functions
- Attend community events as a representative of the YWCA, as directed by supervisor
- Assist in creating and implementing media plans for YWCA events, fundraisers and projects
- Assist in administrative duties associated with PR/Marketing/Communications activities
- Other duties as assigned
Federal Work Study Program Eligibility:
This is a Federal Work Study Program (FWSP) position. In order to be considered for the work study program, you must be approved for work study through the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. If you have been awarded work study funds, please be sure to accept the award through UCONNECT.
Fall/Spring Semesters: All student employees must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible to work any UCO student position. Half time enrollment for Fall/Spring is considered 5 hours for graduates and 6 hours for undergraduates.
Summer Semester: Undergraduate Work-Study students must be enrolled in 6 hours to work on campus and Graduate Work-Study students must be enrolled in at least 5 hours. All other students must be enrolled in at least 3 hours to work on campus. Students not enrolled in summer classes must be enrolled in Fall classes in order to work on campus, but will be required to pay FICA taxes.
If the number of hours needed to graduate is less than the minimum hours required to work, the student must obtain a letter from his/her advisor stating the number of hours needed to graduate. Contact Human Resources for further information.
PR, Marketing, Communications, Journalism or Graphic Design coursework preferred. Strong written and oral communication skills and creative thinking skills required. Fairly advanced computer skills needed, including MS Office Suite, Internet and Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
Repetitive movement of hands and fingers - typing and/or writing. Frequent standing, and/or sitting. Occasional walking, stooping, kneeling or crouching. Reach with hands and arms. Visually identify, observe and assess. Ability to communicate with supervisor/students/colleagues. Regular physical attendance required. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations (in accordance with ADA requirements) may be made, upon request, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Please submit resume, cover letter, and class schedule.
Apply on company website