Hours per Week:
College Access Mentors - Tutors (CAM-T) are college students who work in and out of the classroom as tutors and role models/motivators of GEAR UP students. CAM-T not only help students overcome academic challenges they face, such as poor grades, or homework problems, but also instill positive academic values, beliefs, and attitudes that promote college and career readiness. They serve as both mentor and tutor, helping students develop academic, emotional intelligence, and meta cognitive skills. Ideally, academic mentors are alumni of the school or a school very similar helping to foster the development of a college-going identity in the GEAR UP students they serve.
GEAR UP is an acronym for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs. It is a federally-funded grant designed to increase the number of cohort students who are prepared to enter and succeed in post-secondary education. In partnership with public schools, higher education, communities, financial institutions and business organizations the University of Central Oklahoma's GEAR UP Connect grant will work together to provide students and their families with a range of support services needed to prepare for college. GEAR UP Connect has partnered with three area school districts to provide opportunities for the class of 2024. GEAR UP will provide support for these students as they progress through middle school, high school and into their first year of college. All GEAR UP activities and service are at no cost to the student, parent, teacher, or school administration!
Department Specific Essential Job Functions:
- This position will require employees to work off campus.
- This position is contingent upon grant funding.
- CAM-T will work with assigned students in the following middle school(s): Millwood Middle School, Del Crest Middle School, Kerr Middle School, Jarman Middle School, Monroney Middle School, or Western Heights Middle School.
- CAM-T will support the mastery of content material.
- CAM-T will be required to document specifically, accurately, completely, and timely.
- CAM-T will monitor student's performance and actively assist students in classrooms.
- CAM-T will facilitate tutoring, mentoring, and/or enrichment program.
- CAM-T will collaborate with students, teachers, and coordinators to identify and support students' needs.
- CAM-T will be a positive role model for students and help guide students to reach personal, academic, and professional goals.
- CAM-T will support academic coordinator with implementing GEAR UP services.
Fall/Spring Semesters: All student employees must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible to work any UCO student position. Half time enrollment for Fall/Spring is considered 5 hours for graduates and 6 hours for undergraduates.
Summer Semester: Undergraduate Work-Study students must be enrolled in 6 hours to work on campus. Graduate Work-Study students must be enrolled in at least 5 hours. All other students must be enrolled in at least 3 hours to work on campus. Students not enrolled in summer classes must be enrolled in Fall classes in order to work on campus, but will be required to pay FICA taxes.
If the number of hours needed to graduate is less than the minimum hours required to work, the student must obtain a letter from his/her academic advisor, stating the number of hours needed to graduate. Call the Human Resources Department for further information.
Requires a high school diploma or GED. Some college a plus. Knowledge of and exposure to fundamental theories, principles, and concepts. Requires the application of expertise in a chosen field to achieve results.
Tutor must be knowledgeable in all core subject areas.
Must obtain the ability to lead and maintain a positive learning environment.
Will this employee supervise others?
No, this employee will NOT supervise other employees.
Repetitive movement of hands and fingers - typing and/or writing. Frequent standing, and/or sitting. Occasional walking, stooping, kneeling or crouching. Reach with hands and arms. Visually identify, observe and assess. Ability to communicate with supervisor/students/colleagues. Regular physical attendance required. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations (in accordance with ADA requirements) may be made, upon request, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Please upload your cover letter and resume.
Apply on company website