1700 S Beemer West Point Nebraska 68788-4600
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
This position is responsible for overseeing and managing the production, material flow, and the quality control of the Galvanizing department. The Production Shift Supervisor is responsible for administering organizational policies and procedures at the department level and for supervising the daily shop operations and establishing work priorities to meet internal and external customer shipping commitments. Incumbent will establish shift objectives to support the division's goals and objectives and review this performance plan. The Production Shift Supervisor is responsible for ensuring manufactured products meet or exceed quality standards and initiate actions necessary to maintain standards. Incumbent will order and supervise the necessary repairs and maintenance of machines and equipment throughout the production area. Additional responsibilities include maintaining records for the accuracy and timeliness of daily footage and poundage, completed orders, and inspection reports. The Production Supervisor will enforce good safety and housekeeping practices and employee training programs. Incumbent will be expected to wear the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) at all times on the production floor.
Basic Objective Qualifications (Required for job):
High school diploma or GED equivalent
Two years of supervisory or management experience in an industrial environment
Proficient with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
The ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
The ability to write routine reports and correspondence
The ability to effectively interpret and present information one-on-one and in front of an audience
Basic Subjective Qualifications (Required for job):
The ability to recognize and solve practical problems or issues
The ability communicate and interact with coworkers in a positive manner
Strong leadership skills and the ability to support divisional business objectives
Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results in safety, quality, delivery, and cost
Preferred Qualifications (Optional):
An Associate's Degree in Business, Industrial Management or related field
Three years of supervisory or management experience in an industrial environment
One year of experience in a manufacturing or fabrication environment
Working knowledge of OSHA, environmental regulations, and state and federal labor standards
Experience utilizing an automated time and attendance tracking system
The ability to calculate figures and amounts including proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume for product and the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
The Production Shift Supervisor reports directly to the Production Manager. Within the current organizational structure, the Production Manager reports directly to the General Manager of the West Point site. The Shift Supervisor will directly supervise a team of 20-30 employees, including General Shop Help, Material Handlers, Crane Operators, and Area Crew Leaders.
Nature and Scope:
This position is accountable for overseeing and managing a team of 20-30 production employees, material flow, and the quality control of the galvanizing department. The Shift Supervisor will be involved in daily coordination efforts with production scheduling and dispatching, quality assurance, material control, and maintenance as necessary to meet schedule compliance.
Incumbent will make frequent contact with Maintenance, Shipping/Receiving, Human Resources, Safety Coordinator, Office staff, and other manufacturing department supervision to maintain and overall acceptable level of performance in meeting department goals and objectives.
Incumbent will be responsible for ensuring inspection and quality of product produced, producing parts and assemblies to schedule, motivating hourly workers to attain quantity and quality standards, and administering company and division policy at the production level.
Incumbent will be responsible for production equipment, including but not limited to the Galvanizing building, overhead bridge cranes, zinc kettles, acid baths, caustic baths, flux baths, forklifts, and all fixtures needed to run safely, efficiently, and productively.
Incumbent will occasionally operate all equipment involved in the galvanizing process.
Incumbent will also recognize product(s) requiring special handling or preparatory measures prior to processing. This will be especially critical in the custom galvanized product because of the wide variety of situations encountered.
Incumbent will possess the technical and human relations skills necessary to train and motivate skilled and unskilled workers. The incumbent will be capable of withstanding the pressures of first-line supervision and have the ability to initiate and adapt to change in a timely and orderly manner. The incumbent will also be able to achieve required results within an acceptable level of harmonious employee relations and within budget guidelines.
Incumbent will recognize and accurately analyze process deficiencies including process tank temperatures, solution mixtures, zinc/aluminum additions, preflux stability, the ARS System, and working load limits on slings and fixtures through the Maintenance Department.
All other duties as required
• Education Background / Skills: Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent. Must have a minimum of two years of supervisory or management experience in an industrial environment. Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively up and down the organization including the ability to speak publicly before groups of employees and customers. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram from. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to recognize hazardous substances and to know basic employee responsibilities for chemical safety and emergency response as listed in the site Release Prevention Control and Countermeasures Plan. Proficient with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, and a good understanding of Visual Shop and QAD.
• Job Training: The Production Shift Supervisor will need at least 6 months of on the job training to achieve a minimum acceptable level of performance.
• Decision Making: Will be required to make decisions on staffing requirements, production priorities and sequences for processing products. The ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. The ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Implements work schedule to maximize utilization of manpower, machines, and materials and assign work to hourly employees.
• Processes parts and/or components to meet production schedule and advises Production Manager and schedulers of difficulties in meeting plans or schedules.
• Defines results and standards of performance expected of assigned personnel.
• Monitors performance of assigned personnel, completes employee performance reviews, and takes corrective action as necessary.
• Reports discrepancies in blueprints, specifications, methods, engineering data, standards, etc. to Production Manager.
• Continuously observes for proper operating of assigned equipment and identifies maintenance required and initiates corrective action.
• Recommends new or improved machines, equipment, and facilities as required.
• Ensures product quality meets specified standards and assigned personnel make inspections as required by standard procedures.
• Ensure operation is in compliance with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHA) regulations.
• Actively participates in monthly Safety Leadership Team meetings.
• Reports and investigates all incidents in a timely manner.
• Enter injuries, illnesses, property damage, hazards, and other incidents into the Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) database system.
• Ensures accurate and timely reporting of assigned personnel's time and production through various production reports.
• Promotes a continuous productivity improvement climate.
• Conducts shift start up meetings at the beginning of every shift and monthly safety meetings with personnel.
• Administers company policies in a firm, fair, and consistent manner.
• Maintains good housekeeping and safe working conditions in assigned areas.
• Trains new employees into department activities and safety procedures.
• Maintains knowledge in quality standards require for custom galvanizing customers, is constantly vigilant with regard to proper venting and orientation, and must be knowledgeable in correct and safe loading methods for customer products.
• Assists with maintaining process tanks at required levels of concentrations for quality galvanizing.
• Serves as a champion for various teams/projects to promote continuous improvement.
• Assist with Area Leader responsibilities as needed.
The Production Shift Supervisor is responsible for 20-30 production employees including General Shop Help, Material Handlers, Crane Operators, and Area Leaders.
Responsibility for Lean Manufacturing:
• Eliminating Wastes: A waste is any activity that adds cost or time, but does not add value.
• Standard Work: The current best method for completing a task.
• Root Cause Analysis: The process used to determine the ultimate causes of an issue and the actions to prevent reoccurrence.
• Participating in Kaizen Events
• Sustaining Improvements
The primary working conditions for this position is the production area environment. Incumbent will be exposed to dirt, grease, fumes, cold, heat, noise, dust, airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and smoke. The Shift Supervisor may be required to work outside inspecting production and directing incoming material flow. Incumbent occasionally will be working near moving mechanical parts or in high precarious places. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as safety glasses, hard hat, hi-viz vest, and steel-toed/metatarsal shoes may be required.
The galvanizing industry is a heavy, demanding industry that is plagued by many hazards; however, this job description assumes that many of these hazards are avoidable if properly managed by close supervision and skilled employees. Some hazards are, include: hypersensitive reaction to chemical environment, heat exhaustion or aggravations created by blowing dust and ash.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent will be required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, and crouch on the production floor and in the material lots frequently. Incumbent will occasionally be required to sit at computer/work station. Incumbent will occasionally be required lift and / or move up to 50 pounds. Walking up and down stairs and walking to and from the manufacturing and office areas is required.
Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, Visual Shop, QAD, and EHS
Line of Promotion:
There is no direct line of promotion for this position. The Production Shift Supervisor may also utilize the Open Position Opportunity Program (OPOP) for other opportunities.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Apply on company website