28800 Ida St Valley Nebraska 68064-8016
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position
A primary responsibility of the Mill Specialist is to set up and operate the tube mill to produce the required quality of product at the maximum speed and highest yield possible. The Mill Specialist will also function as the Cutoff Operator, Looper Operator, Inspector and assist with other department tasks as needed. In addition, the Mill Specialist must adhere to all safety measures and wear all required PPE.
- Operate one of three continuous running steel tube mills, producing tubing in a variety of different sizes, shapes, and gauges
- Produce quality tubing at a reasonable rate of speed, including tubing for agricultural, mechanical, structural, and exhaust stack applications
- Inspect for substandard product due to bad steel, bad weld, bad form or anything else that would create a product that would cause customer service problems. The efficiency of the mill operation can directly impact other persons in the line operation.
- Identify the proper weld rolls, fin passes, impeders, scarfers, and any other tooling required to make a superior tube
- Adjust guide rolls, side rolls, forming rolls, driver rolls, and weld head rolls to ensure a quality product
- Identify the correct fin pass required to control the apex of the tube going into the squeeze section
- Operate the following tools and equipment: overhead crane, 20,000 lb. CY forklift, uncoiler, coil car, looper, tube mills, welders, cutting torches, plasma cutter, grinders, tape measures, micrometers, OD and PI tape, Metco zinc spraying guns (including gas/oxygen), dial indicators, dial calipers and radius gauges, seam annealer unit and non-destructive test equipment
- Will be responsible for fine tuning any mill after a changeover has been made
- Set up and operate any one of three flying lathe style cutoffs, one flying band saw cut-off, and two flying friction cutoffs
- Operate all cutoffs with minimum amount of burr, minimum amount of scarf, and at the highest speed possible
- Maintain accurate records of customer orders which were run and prime and random footage produced. Also maintain complete records of all coils used on shift, including width and gauge, pounds and footage on each coil of steel.
- Adjust pull thru drive section and all Turksheads as needed to run to close tolerances on ovality and straightness of all tubing (assist inspector making adjustments). Have a working knowledge of heads and sizing.
- Responsible for the safe operation of all mills while functioning as Mill Operator, Cutoff Operator or Looper Operator
Other Important Details about the Role:
- Also responsible for monitoring and maintaining the cooling pit
- Stage equipment as needed to prepare for upcoming set up/changeover
- This individual contributor position reports to the Production Supervisor
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- 7+ years of relevant work experience
- The ability to read and write legibly
- Basic math skills (whole numbers, fractions, feet and inches, add, subtract, multiply, and divide, including metrics)
- The ability to read and understand simple blueprints
- Willingness to assist other mill operators and perform Cutoff Operator duties when necessary
- Communication skills to train others and coordinate activities in order to achieve an effective operation
- An understanding of the basics of welding to analyze a tubing crush test, flare test, and reverse bend test
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Able to frequently lift up to 35 lbs.
- Must be able to stand 95% of shift, bend and stoop 70%
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
- Previous experience as a Mill Operator, Cutoff Operator, Looper Operator and Inspector
- A good understanding of high frequency welding theory
- An basic understanding of tube mill roll design
- The ability to understand and control OD & ID scarfing
- A working knowledge of the following tools and equipment: overhead crane, 20,000 lb. CY forklift, uncoiler, coil car, looper, tube mills (Abbey and 4-6 5/8”), welders, cutting torches, plasma cutter, grinders, tape measures, micrometers, OD and PI tape, Metco zinc spraying guns (including gas/oxygen), dial indicators, dial calipers and radius gauges, seam annealer unit and non-destructive test equipment
- Experience operating hydraulic systems on mills
- Experience setting up entire driving systems on mills
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Apply on company website