A role within the Office of General Counsel (“OGC”) for Volkswagen Group of America, under the supervision of the Assistant General Counsel for Privacy, Data Governance, and E-Discovery, the eDiscovery and RIM Technical Operations Specialist collaborates regularly with lawyers, paralegals, case managers, outside counsel, eDiscovery service providers, and VWGoA IT and business partners, to provide technical operations support for E-Discovery and RIM projects. The role will serve as the E-Discovery Team's primary liaison with the Information Technology and Services department for the execution of the company's established Global Discovery Center processes and playbook. The successful candidate will also be responsible for various technical operational matters related to the delivery of technology and eDiscovery services at VWGoA.
The role also supports the company's E-Discovery Specialists with collection and production of company data in support of legal matters, and may perform other duties as assigned in support of the VWGoA E-Discovery team, including serving in a project management capacity.
Liaison between OGC and VWGoA Information Technology & Services department, for E-Discovery and RIM strategy, policies, and execution
• Support Legal Hold and RIM procedures and processes by liaising on back-end implementation with IT&S, particularly around non-custodial data and systems.
• Responsible for keeping abreast of VWGoA IT strategy on software and systems to identify potential eDiscovery preservation and collection issues, and to ensure compliance with legal requirements and OGC policies.
• Work with IT&S Asset Management team to develop and maintain policy documentation as it relates to hardware retention, or data retention and discovery from hardware (Mobile Device Retention, Windows and Mac devices, etc.) and engage in changes to the same as products and processes evolve in accordance with legal requirements.
• Participate in developing and maintaining data maps of the VWGoA's IT architecture related to OGC eDiscovery preservation and collection strategy and policies.
• Identify potential e-discovery and defensible disposition opportunities and risks within the IT architecture and systems, and work with IT&S and OGC to find solutions to the same.
Technical Resource for OGC E-Discovery Team regarding Office 365 and the Office 365 Security & Compliance Center
• Responsible for fielding and interpreting IT and outside resource updates for the OGC E-Discovery Team, on e-discovery implications of changes to the O365 platform.
• Responsible for liaising with IT&S to ensure O365 configurations, processes, and automations are up to date and in line with E-Discovery playbook.
Liaison to VWGoA Forensic Team and outside vendors to ensure collection operations follow IT&S and OGC E-Discovery policies and procedures in support of legal matters.
• Act as a primary liaison and technical contact for the OGC related to any matters requiring investigation or collection using forensic tools & utilities
• Support Forensic Team to establish chain of custody and defensible documentation in accordance with E-Discovery law and procedures.
• Responsibility for Collection Tracking System reporting
• Serve as the primary liaison between IT&S and e-discovery vendors and outside counsel conducting forensic collection services on VWGoA IT assets and networks.
Technical operations support resource for OGC eDiscovery strategy and projects
• Help develop and support the OGC's technical requirements for eDiscovery policy, strategy, and tools.
• Actively participate in the evaluation and proof of concept process for new software products that are being considered for onboarding within the OGC for support of the eDiscovery and RIM processes.
• Coordinate with IT&S on the administration, support and configuration of eDiscovery support systems.
• Actively participate in project management of eDiscovery software updates.
• Serve as OGC representative participating in maintenance, upgrades, and migrations of the servers and products associated with OGC applications to ensure compliance with OGC and IT&S policies, and legal requirements.
• Keep OGC management informed about critical issues that may affect systems and tools being leveraged for OGC purposes.
Required Years of Experience:
• 5 years IT experience, with 5 years supporting e-discovery or information management technical operations at a large law firm, governmental agency, corporate legal department, or e-discovery vendor.
• Advanced knowledge of technology, IT systems and infrastructure, and computer networking
• Knowledge of and experience with legal requirements regarding email retention, file retention, device retention, etc.
• Strong knowledge of e-discovery and Records Information Management (“RIM”) best practices, and the ability to use judgment in applying that knowledge to specific IT technology.
• Understanding of computer forensics processes, risks, and technology.
• Working knowledge of and experience with Mobile Device Management systems.
• Working knowledge of and experience with Client Management & Encryption systems.
• IT change and project management experience
• The ability to describe complex technical concepts and ideas in non-technical terms, and to provide technical input into e-discovery and RIM policies and procedures.
• Familiarity with internal controls, quality management, or similar business process concepts.
• Experience with E-Discovery within Office365 environment, and with the Office 365 Security and Compliance Center.
• Regular business hours
• Travel approximately 5-10%
• Regular attendance in office with one work-from-home day if desired
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technology field, or equivalent work experience.
• E-Discovery degree or certification, e.g., through the Association of Certified E-Discovery Specialists, or equivalent work experience
Apply on company website