The ICC focuses on research and development of leading edge technologies with the goal to meet the future mobility needs of the Volkswagen Group customer.
The core function of the role will be to work closely with a UX designer to collaborate and implement future vision concepts. These concepts will be presented to C-Level executive's across the brands that we work on. Reviews of the work will happen both here in the Silicon Valley as well as in Germany.
This position is expected to define the minimum viable product of what is being built as a concept prototype. The position will present this work to engage customers of the new future vision that is being created
· From scratch to create from the gut future vision projects for the ICC.
· Help to define new methods for the mechatronics team.
· Be a team player in working with team sizes between 2 – 10 people at a time.
· Be able to present your projects to the ICC leadership team.
· If not defining a new concept, being able to collaborate and contribute to other future visions that are in place.
· Understanding and creating in the design thinking methodologies.
· Being able to jump on a project as scopes can change quickly in R&D.
· Bringing back new knowledge to the team as a whole.
Years of Experience
· 3-5 years of experience
· Bachelor's Degree, Mechatronics. Master's preferred
· Communication skills
· Problem solving skills
· Analytical skills
· Conceptual thinking skills
· Computer savvy
· Excellent knowledge of UX research methods and advanced statistical analysis
· Integration - joining people, processes or systems
· Broad knowledge of full vehicle interrelationships
· Excellent verbal and writing skills
· Mechanical engineering and electrical engineering knowledge
Required Specialized Skills
· Design and build user experience prototypes that enable stakeholders to experience new technology and concepts in the automotive space
· Be comfortable creating concepts to be presented to the “C” suite at VW Group World Wide
· Not afraid to think “outside” the car
· Work closely with user experience designers, software engineers, and other stakeholders to design and prototype new ideas
· Generate mechanical designs using CAD and work with local machine shops to have them manufactured
· Create involved electronics systems and design any PCBs required for operation
· Work with existing car systems and reverse engineer existing parts when necessary
· Generate documentation and develop pathway to series production for all concepts
Desired Specialized Skills
· SolidWorks CAD design skills with CATIA familiarity a major plus
· Understanding of design for manufacturability with multiple materials (aluminum, steel, plastics, wood, etc.)
· Know your way around a machine shop (mill, lathe, CNC, laser cutter, etc.)
· Familiarity with additive manufacturing (fdm, polyjet, sla, sls, sintering, and more)
· Comfortable with tolerance specification and ability to work with a machine shop to get designs fabricated
· Able to choose a microcontroller for a project and lay out a PCB (Altium ECAD preferred)
· Can size and choose motors for rotary and linear motion
· Comfortable with multiple serial protocols (I2C, SPI, UART, CAN, LIN, or others) to connect sensors and components
· Fluent in C / C++ for microcontrollers
· Familiar with developing for internet connectivity
· Familiar with Bluetooth / Bluetooth Low Energy development
· Know how to pitch a project concept/understanding of project management
· Travel for internal and external shows for communication of project progress, results, and transfer
Apply on company website