Job Summary:A role within the Office of General Counsel (“OGC”) for Volkswagen Group of America, under the supervision of the Assistant General Counsel for Privacy, Data Governance, and E-Discovery, and in coordination with the E-Discovery Team, the Senior Paralegal - E-Discovery will fulfill a crucial role supporting and managing litigation and non-litigation matters and projects in the areas of human resources, marketing/sales, intellectual property, and other commercial litigation, with a primary focus on supporting OGC litigation and claims counsel around OGC E-Discovery policies and procedures. Although a member of the OGC E-Discovery team, this role will provide direct support to all OGC litigation case teams outside of the product liability area.
The role also supports the company's E-Discovery Specialists with collection and production of company data in support of legal matters, and may perform other duties as assigned in support of the VWGoA E-Discovery team, including serving in a project management capacity.
Job Responsibilities:E-Discovery Team Direct Litigation/Claims Support (75%)
- Under guidance of counsel, draft custodial and non-custodial legal holds in OGC legal hold software using approved E-Discovery Team processes.
- Primary responsibility for maintaining holds, following up with individual custodians and IT&S, and ensuring that legal holds are current.
- Ensures E-Discovery case assessment process is conducted for each litigation matter.
- Support custodian interviews, and data collections consistent with approved E-Discovery Team procedures.
- Support monthly case team meetings with E-Discovery Team.
- Supports E-Discovery Specialists in management of E-Discovery vendors.
- Support in-house attorneys and IT personnel on E-Discovery best practices.
- Support the company's E-Discovery Specialists to coordinate retrieval, preservation, organization and collection of company's electronic records at the direction of counsel.
- Support the company's E-Discovery Specialists to work with IT on preservation plans and collections.
- Works to develop data consistency across matters.
- Works with other E-Discovery team members to build, improve, and support legal hold policies and procedures.
- Creates and maintains matter documentation, ensuring a clear audit trail.
- Works on other E-discovery projects as requested, including supporting the team's project management efforts.
- Assists in managing specified litigation and non-litigation matters and projects, working directly with counsel and/or VWGoA business interests, and ensuring timeliness and responsiveness on requests, compliance with any and all applicable laws and regulations, consistency with internal processes, and the generation of strategic insights regarding our litigation defense.
- On a matter-specific basis, oversee implementation of document and case management systems, communicating internally and externally with key stakeholders, and use judgment in applying internal processes and the rules of civil procedure.
5-7 years of legal experience as a litigation paralegal in a large law firm, governmental agency, or corporate legal department, with significant experience supporting litigation e-discovery process.
- B.A. with concentration in Legal Studies
- Paralegal Certification
- Strong ability to track, monitor, and coordinate litigation and/or non-litigation matters using both judgment and the implementation of standard operating procedures
- Extensive experience with document management and matter management technical platforms
- Extensive usage of Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written communication and proofreading skills
- Strong knowledge of legal privileges
- Strong knowledge of the rules of civil procedure, including e-discovery, and the ability to use judgment in applying that knowledge to case specific facts
- Strong automotive litigation background, including experience in both federal and state court
- Ability and interest in working closely with Counsel to help define the strategic direction of our litigation defense
- In-house or outside law firm paralegal experience
- Strong familiarity with the automotive industry, including marketing and distribution channels, vehicle manufacturers, vehicle models and features, preferred
- Experience with drafting or revising basic motions and written discovery
- Travel approximately 5-10%
- 40 hours
Apply on company website