The Principal Engineer in the area of OBD certification and compliance has the primary responsibility to provide technical leadership to the engineering team for obtaining timely approval of OBD systems. This responsibility would include oversight of respective certification documentation, developing strategies and leading activities to obtain certification of OBD systems. Additional responsibilities would include working the OBD compliance team to identify and report on field issues and developing technical resolution of field issues.
Job ResponsibilitiesOBD Certification (60%)
- Assemble and contribute required certification information to the engineering team for achieving timely approvals of OBD System from the Agency.
- Develop technical information and participate in negotiations informing the Agency about future OBD System strategies.
- Lead discussions as the OBD technical representative involving OBD certification requirements and compliance related issues
- Review of OBD-II Transmittal and AECD descriptions for accuracy and completeness.
- Cooperative work with Technical Teams within Automotive Brands on OBD Issues to understand new issues and status updates.
- Primary interface to SAE committees for communication standards, PID definition and Inspection/Maintenance Requirements.
- Coordinate OBD Demonstration testing and PVE testing activities to meet related regulatory reporting requirements.
- Create reports along with supportive documentation and conduct any necessary follow up related to the testing results.
OBD Issue Resolution (20%)
- Lead the OBD compliance team in developing technical solutions of OBD field issues.
- Technical representative for VWGoA during reporting discussions/negotiations with the Government Agency.
- Work with Internal Service teams to resolve Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) field issues that require a deep technical dive between on-board and off-board communication issues and drive resolution.
- Work with Warranty teams to insure a comprehensive yet realistic emission warranty part list and review annually.
- Minimum 10 years in On-Board Diagnostics Design/Development/Regulatory or Certification experience.
- BSME, BSEE, or BS degree in related Engineering discipline.
- Master's Degree in related Engineering discipline
- Possessing a comprehensive understanding of OBD system software and hardware design.
- Demonstrable proficiency in explaining OBD control system functionality.
- Capable of comprehending and providing recommendations regarding future OBD strategy and calibration methodologies.
- Ability to lead team in identifying and executing OBD Certification requirements on time.
- Familiar with OBD tools, suppliers and requisite communications protocols.
- Experience leading Government Agency (CARB) negotiations involving OBD certification approval.
- Ability to represent VW issues in Industry discussions within the trade association and with the Government agencies.
- Capable of facilitating technical discussions within relevant SAE OBD committees.
- Possess a detailed working knowledge of the OBD Deficiency process and associated fine payment requirement.
- Comprehensive knowledge of vehicle emission standards, emission certification requirements, and AECD applications.
- Experience with leading problem resolution of OBD communications issues in the field.
- Able to execute Issue, Corrective Action and Validation Tracking system skills.
- Managed PVE reporting, and/or Certification application processing.
- Performed software development of OBD control system algorithms.
- Conducted data acquisition, as well as other on road vehicle testing experience.
- Supervised fleet testing, and/or OBD demonstration testing.
- Ability to mentor staff regarding general automotive analytical and diagnostic experience.
- Actively involved in OBD Transmittal Review and/or AECD development and review.
- Possess intimate knowledge of the design and function of serial bus systems.
- Familiarity and understanding of the CARB Document Management System (DMS) for official record submissions.
- Develop working relationships with After-Sales Service and Warranty teams to foster teamwork on cross-functional projects.
- Proven ability to mentor employees on processes and production of high quality deliverables.
- Demonstrate an innovate mindset to deliver improved and automated processes for documentation cross-check to insure high-quality deliverables to regulatory agencies.
- 10% Travel, typically 2-5 day duration
- Proven ability to work with a globally distributed OBD development and vehicle certification team.
- Attending offsite conferences, symposiums, and workshops as a VW representative.
- Global travel to support technical and process meetings relative to OBD department objectives.
- Travel to vehicle assembly plants, Test Centers and Approved Engineering Service Suppliers to collect required PVE datasets.
Apply on company website