Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Casual
Program Name: SMART
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Including Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: OPSEU
The SMART Group Fitness Instructor in this exciting new program will lead classes for older adults in Retirement Homes and in the community. The Fitness Instructor will be guided by Regulated Healthcare Professionals associated with the program and by the certification standards of VON SMART. The incumbent will also be accountable to the Program Coordinator. Successful candidate will be asked to upgrade his/her education as required. SFIC certification training will be provided by VON, as needed. Opportunities for program growth and expansion to other VON sites are currently being considered, which will allow for increased employment opportunities across South Western Ontario!
- Lead weekly classes under the direction of the PT/PTA
- Work toward fulfillment of client goals as outlined on PT/PTA assessment
- Participate in on-going review of service delivery process and evaluation
- Attend any educational in-services that are deemed appropriate by PT and/or supervisor
- Adhere to VON Canada policies
- Reports any situations that are deemed uncomfortable to their supervisor/manager
- Ensures all incidents are reported in a timely manner in accordance with legislation and VON policies and procedures
- Reports any defect in any equipment which may endanger themselves or others
- Functions and reports in compliance with the OHS legislation, regulations, and VON policies and procedures
- Current VON SMART Certification as a Group Fitness Instructor preferred
- CCAA Certification as a Seniors Fitness Instructor and/or equivalent is required at the time of hire or within 3 months from time of hire.
- A combination of related education and experience will be considered
- Experience teaching group fitness classes for older adults
- Experience teaching specialized classes for chronic conditions i.e. Osteoporosis, Parkinson Disease, Diabetes, Osteoarthritis etc.
- Experience promoting health and well-being through physical activity
- Experience working in an assisted living environment i.e. recreation therapy
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality
- Dependability and trustworthiness
- Compassion and Caring
- Good communication and active listening skills
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- Pre-health assessment may be required
- First Aid/CPR certification
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
In accordance with the Employer's policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.
Apply on company website