Role Summary:The Senior Value Engineering Analyst is responsible for performing analysis of production parts and drawings, and provide a ‘bottom-up', ‘clean sheet', or ‘should be' calculation of what the part and the related tooling & equipment cost is based on current and future market material, production, labor, profits and overhead to achieve the target project profitability for all NAR VW Brand vehicle models through the concept of “Design follows target.” This position will report to the Director or Manager of Value Engineering and will be a member of Value Engineering NAR team which support the execution of and realizing the VW Brand's mission of creating and selling exciting products suited and tailored for the NAR markets (USA, Mexico and Canada) profitably. This will require effectively executing the Value Engineering Processes within the Region and build consensus to obtain buy-in from key stakeholders in Engineering, Purchasing, Quality, Production, Sales, Strategy. Role Responsibilities: Operational - 30%
- Contribute to annual Business Plan for Analyzed Turnover for Piece Price and Tooling Investment Calculations.
- Prepare material piece price, Tooling Investment, and/or pre-logistics cost calculations for ‘Heavy Items' in Forward Sourcing, on an ad-hoc basis, or per the Business Plan for various commodities.
- Perform cost calculations based on best practices
- Support the Purchasing Buyers with supplier negotiations based on the potential savings identified through analysis of tooling invest, piece price, and logistics cost calculations.
- Maintain updated cost analysis results in VW Group Systems.
- Analyze drawings and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates for parts and assemblies
- Consult with suppliers and internal departments to formulate estimates, resolve issues and changes or updates to cost calculation
- Responsible for developing accurate manufacturing cost estimates for a broad set of commodities
- Understanding of assigned Systems & Processes for the Purchasing and Value Engineering Departments. Maintain all related documentation (i.e. Procedures, Training Material)
- Identify concepts that satisfy NAR consumer preferences and expectations, including influencing vehicle exterior and interior styling and design concepts.
- Optimize car lines to ensure appropriate content to maximize financial return.
- Identify complexity and variant change enhancement opportunities, as well as push for design to cost and design to customer value.
- Participate in the benchmarking of competitor products and specifications through teardown of complete vehicles, modules and systems or component parts for cost optimization for G3 & G4 products
- Generate cost reductions ideas from competitor analysis, workshop participation, supplier discussions etc.
- Identify Engineering Specification and Quality Standard changes to be NAR market-conforming
- Understand Strategy 2025 and integrate its objectives through the lens of “Value Engineering” from concept to implementation to series production phases.
- Participate in product cost reduction workshops with suppliers, buyers and engineering
- Complete calculations of the cost impact associated with identified technical changes.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, formal training, reviewing professional publications, establishing and expanding professional networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Ensure that VW NAR performance requirements conform to the market
- Contribute in the creation of and maintenance of an annual design catalog that serves as the template and guide for future projects and models within the region
- Future outlook and current suppliers of competitors, share data with commodity purchasing.
- Analyze and monitor Global macro-economic, geo-political, and unforeseen events that influence material cost. Understand future safety, regulatory and Co2 requirements.
- Analyze localization and deep localization rate of assigned parts. Support commodity purchasing strategies to increase localization and deep localization rate.
- Visit supplier production facilities and identify areas for supplier productivity enhancements to decrease material costs. Implement waste avoidance best practices Identify and provide purchasing with information to negotiate with suppliers.
- Perform market intelligence, obtain consumer insights, and identify product innovation in order to influence and contribute to “Product Strategy” in the early stages of PEP. (Milestone PS-PM)
5 - 7 years of professional experience with an Automotive OEM or Tier 1 in the areas cost or value engineering, production or manufacturing engineering, component design and development or similar area of expertise.
BS Degree in Mechanical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering. Or a BS in Business Finance, Accounting or Economics required.
Master's in Engineering or MBA desired
- Demonstrated automotive manufacturing background and/or development engineering background
- Strategic and conceptual thinking capabilities, with a view of the “big picture” and a vision of future products and mobility solutions
- Analytical thinking using reasoning and logic
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong Persuasion, influencing and negotiation skills
- Computer savvy – skilled in the use of (MS-Applications, TcPCM, Technical Drawings,CATIA, and SAP)
- Problem solving – critical and complex
Specialized skills required:
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes of components and/or subsystems within the automotive industry
- Understanding of manufacturing processes in most of the following production segments:
- Working knowledge of and ability to read drawings, CAD data, blueprints, material data sheets
- Be able to create/define Manufacturing Process Flows and cycle times utilizing (MTM)
- Ability to evaluate supplier quotations, cost breakdown worksheets, and tooling investment details
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently and manage projects
- Capable to train colleagues in the areas of Cost Calculation
- Interpersonal skills requiring the ability to resolve conflicting interests and obtain cooperation, work effectively in a team
- High level of understanding of mold and die making processes. (Deep knowledge for Mold/Dies)
- Knowledge of Suppliers Cost estimating strategies, i.e. Overheads, Indirect labor, Direct labor, etc
- Knowledge of DFM (Design for manufacture), process optimization
- Competitor and tear-down analysis experience
- High level user of Siemens PLM software and Catia V5
- Understanding of the automotive competitor landscape, evolving technologies and business models.
- Understanding of materials and manufacturing processes of automotive parts.
- Understanding of Quality Systems and Methods employed in automotive OEMs and Suppliers.
- Strong understanding of Financial Budgeting Process, including budgeting for Material Costs and Cost Savings as well as Product Cost Optimization (PKO)
- Excellent presentation-making skills using PowerPoint, Think Cell, Excel, Word, Visio, etc
- German, Spanish or Chinese language skills
- Understanding of the VW Product Emergence Process (PEP) and the deliverables for the various PEP milestones.
- Strong understanding of Quality Systems and Methods employed in automotive OEMs and Suppliers.
Travel up to 15% of the time. Ability to work irregular hours and occasional weekends.
Apply on company website