The Value Engineering Associate is responsible for supporting the analysis of production parts and drawings, and provide a ‘bottom-up', ‘clean sheet', or ‘should be' calculation of what the part and the related tooling & equipment cost is based on current and future market material, production, labor, profits and overhead to achieve the target project profitability for all NAR VW Brand vehicle models through the concept of “Design follows target.”
This position will report to the Director or Manager of Value Engineering and will be a member of Value Engineering NAR team which support the execution of and realizing the VW Brand's mission of creating and selling exciting products suited and tailored for the NAR markets (USA, Mexico and Canada) profitably.
This will require effectively executing the Value Engineering Processes within the Region and build consensus to obtain buy-in from key stakeholders in Engineering, Purchasing, Quality, Production, Sales, Strategy.
Operational - 50%
- Contribute to annual Business Plan for Analyzed Turnover for Piece Price and Tooling Investment Calculations.
- Support the preparation of material piece price, Tooling Investment, and/or pre-logistics cost calculations for ‘Heavy Items' in Forward Sourcing, on an ad-hoc basis, or per the Business Plan for various commodities.
- Perform cost calculations based on best practices
- Maintain updated cost analysis results in VW Group Systems.
- Analyze drawings and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates for parts and assemblies
- Consult with other Cost Calculators and internal departments to formulate estimates, resolve issues and changes or updates to cost calculation
Cost Reduction Management - 40%
- Participate in the optimization of car lines to ensure appropriate content to maximize financial return.
- Participate in the benchmarking of competitor products and specifications through teardown of complete vehicles, modules and systems or component parts for cost optimization for G3 & G4 products
- Generate cost reductions ideas from competitor analysis, workshop participation, supplier discussions etc.
Systems & Process Optimization - 5%
- Ensure that VW NAR performance requirements conform to the market
- Analyze and monitor Global macro-economic, geo-political, and unforeseen events that influence material cost. Understand future safety, regulatory and Co2 requirements.
- Analyze localization and deep localization rate of assigned parts. Support commodity purchasing strategies to increase localization and deep localization rate.
Innovation and Technology - 5%
- Visit supplier production facilities and identify areas for supplier productivity enhancements to decrease material costs. Implement waste avoidance best practices Identify and provide purchasing with information to negotiate with suppliers.
- Perform market intelligence, obtain consumer insights, and identify product innovation in order to influence and contribute to “Product Strategy” in the early stages of PEP. (Milestone PS-PM)
0 - 2 years of professional experience with an Automotive OEM or Tier 1 in the areas cost or value engineering, production or manufacturing engineering, component design and development or similar area of expertise.
BS Degree in Mechanical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering. Or a BS in Business Finance, Accounting or Economics
· Automotive manufacturing background and/or development engineering background
· Strategic and conceptual thinking capabilities, with a view of the “big picture” and a vision of future products and mobility solutions
· Analytical thinking using reasoning and logic
· Interpersonal and communication skills
· Persuasion, influencing and negotiation skills
· Computer savvy – skilled in the use of (MS-Applications, TcPCM, Technical Drawings, CATIA, and SAP)Problem solving – critical and complex
Specialized Skills: Required
· Fundamental knowledge of manufacturing processes of components and/or subsystems within the automotive industry
· Understanding of manufacturing processes in at least one of the following production segments:
Interior/Exterior: injection molding, blow molding, extrusion, paint, chrome, etc.
Metals: stamping and welding, casting, forging, etc.
Electric: Injection Molding, Harnesses, PCB, Batteries, etc.
· Working knowledge of and ability to read drawings, CAD data, blueprints, material data sheets
· Ability to evaluate supplier quotations, cost breakdown worksheets, and tooling investment details
· Interpersonal skills requiring the ability to work effectively in a team
· Understanding of the automotive competitor landscape, evolving technologies and business models.
· Understanding of materials and manufacturing processes of automotive parts.Ability to make presentation using PowerPoint, Think Cell, Excel, Word, Visio, etc
· German, Spanish or Chinese language skills
· Understanding of the VW Product Emergence Process (PEP) and the deliverables for the various PEP milestones.
· Understanding of Quality Systems and Methods employed in automotive OEMs and Suppliers.
Travel up to 10% of the time. Ability to work irregular hours and occasional weekends.
Apply on company website