Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
The Account Manager (AM) generates shareholder value by using a consultative retention based selling approach for Small/Medium Business commercial Waste Management customers through face-to-face interactions and within an assigned book of business. The AM manages existing business relationships focused on achieving budgeted retention goals by developing and implementing sound retention strategies, utilizing strong negotiation efforts to preserve business, and securing and updating contract agreements from WM customers as well as growing revenues from existing customers. The role of the AM is to maintain a net positive business performance in the commercial space through proactive outreach, account retention and revenue protection efforts to maintain a mutually beneficial alignment between the customer and the WM's growth goals.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
Customer interaction (external and internal), response & follow up
- Serve as the lead point of contact for customer account management matters in an assigned book of business, establish and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction with internal and external customers, and build and maintain strong, long-lasting customer relationships
- Align Waste Management products and services with customer needs, propose solutions that are compliant with appropriate local, state and federal regulations, and increase account penetration through consultative selling skills
- Increase revenue and profitability by executing sound plans on retention visits to improve the customers' service and/or profitability
- Negotiate, update, and renew customer service agreements to maximize profits by providing ongoing education of contract details and use of strong negotiation skills
- Resolve challenging customer requests, reduce lost accounts by diffusing cancellation requests, and collaborate with Retention Sales Manager to resolve all customer escalations or issues
- Communicate rates, charges and service strategies with conviction as well as understand and effectively use customer incentives and concessions within appropriate profit targets and level of authority
- Collaborate with sales team to identify and grow opportunities within territory and engage additional WM business opportunities, referring internally as appropriate
Acquire in-depth industry and company knowledge to prepare complex proposals and make recommendations on equipment optimization and leasing options.
- Use Waste Management sales productivity software tools accurately and consistently (i.e. Salesforce.com/Customer Relationship Management and Pricing Tools)
- Prepare reports as needed and/or handle general administrative duties as appropriate
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: High School Diploma or GED (accredited)
- Experience: Three (3) years of business to business account management experience at a proficient level
- None required.
- Ability to effectively convert customer cancellation requests
- Ability to effectively build relationships
- Ability to set goals
- Proficient in time management
- Proficient in computer skills
- High impact communication
- Planning and organization
- Ability to negotiate effectively
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Normal setting for this job is an office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Apply on company website