Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Waste Management has an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Protection Manager to work in the Harrisburg, PA area.
I. Job Summary
Under moderate supervision, administer and assist in implementing Environmental Protection (EP) programs in assigned Market Area and districts. Serves as Market Area/district EP contact to assist field operations personnel and management with technical guidance on EP topics and regulatory environments. Monitor and investigate compliance status providing training and specific recommendations to site, district and MA management and operations personnel.
Generally, this position is responsible for not more than one Market Area and may only be responsible for several districts within a larger Market Area.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepares, reviews and submits required environmental reports for internal and external audiences as required. Maintain EP data tracking system databases (Cycle, Dakota Tracer) and provides company related reporting.
- Communicates and implements the Corporate EP program policies and strategies within assigned Market Area/districts. Grows environmental awareness and encourages positive forward-looking approaches to EP program. Serves as Market Area/districts EP contact regarding incident notifications, environmental issues, permit applications and expansion projects over the broad media water, air and waste regulatory frameworks.
- Monitors and records site operations and engineering efforts to maintain compliance. Investigates and assesses the regulatory findings and analysis and prepares related documents. Coordinates with MA/district staff on action plan resolution and regulatory agency negotiations. Identifies local, state and federal regulatory impacts to operations.
- Provides technical and project direction to outside consultants, site and Market Area staff on EP program implementation, improvement and maintenance and in the resolution of any current or potential environmental issues.
- Plans, organizes and secures related environmental permits and other regulatory approvals. Prepares related documentation.
- Responsible for developing, coordinating and overseeing field EP testing, investigations, assessments and guidance. Additionally, responsible for related activities involving management of petroleum products, leachate, landfill gas, sanitary and industrial wastewaters, stormwater and groundwater related to the collection, transportation and/or disposal of wastes.
- May administer customer waste approvals.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
No supervisory responsibilities are required.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and four (4) years of relevant work experience
- Experience: Five (5) years of environmental protection related experience (in addition to education requirements)
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Requires knowledge of regulatory environment as it applies to environmental protection and compliance.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- MS Office familiarity, general computer acumen and ability to learn to utilize other job-related technical software. Familiarity with statistical methods. Research skills. A working knowledge of the company's operations and business hierarchy.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Apply on company website