Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, a subsidiary of Massachusetts General Hospital, is renowned as one of the largest acute care hospitals in the Seacoast region of New Hampshire and Southern Maine. At Wentworth-Douglass, we value people who contribute to patient-centered care that enhances community health; we recognize and reward those who share our values and transform our patients' lives. We invite you to explore opportunities, cultivate community wellness and professional growth.
1. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to Clinical Performance - Assessment.
a. Gathers relevant information from medical record, family, and other healthcare providers.
b. Performs ongoing physiological and psychological assessment of the patient.
c. Assesses factors that contraindicate procedure i.e.: medications, medical conditions, required information, blood results, written orders.
d. Completes and ensures that staff complete the necessary paperwork for patient tracking and charging.
e. Modifies action plan to study the patient according to changes in clinical situations.
2. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to Neurodiagnostic testing.
. Selecting appropriate procedure using cost effective plan after reviewing data, patient's abilities, and patient's condition.
a. Provides diagnostic/quality testing using professional judgement and utilizing department standards.
b. Adjusts sensitivities, filters setting and time constants to aide in a readable, artifact free tests.
c. Performs and analyzes EEG and EP data. Helps prepare a report with the documentation of all significant information that will assist the physician in making an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment plan for the patient. All in accordance with departmental policy and procedures.
d. Calibrates and maintains all equipment.
e. Performs and analyzes video EEGs. Reviews data during and after the test preparing data for physician review.
f. Performs intra-operative EEG and Evoked Potential studies. Insures accurate testing. Routinely communicates with the surgeon during the procedure or immediately when changes are noted so he may make changes necessary to protect the patient from adverse consequences.
g. Determines the need for accessory equipment to maintain a high level of patient care and comfort.
h. Attends to routine cleaning and disinfects of all equipment
i. Provides emergency neuroscience's coverage on "off" shifts.
3. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to PSG Testing.
. Interviews the patient, obtains a history, a list of current medications and documents their blood pressure and pulse on the sleep study assessment sheet.
a. Applies all electrodes and monitoring devices so they are free from artifact and reliable throughout the recording process. Insures all impedances are within acceptable limits for recording.
b. Calibrates and maintains all equipment.
c. Adjusts sensitivities, filters setting and time constants to insure an artifact free psg.
d. Applies and titrates Ncpap or Bipap according to patient symptom and data gathered during testing.
e. Analyzes sleep staging, sleep apnea, PLMS or other movement disorders, EEG and EKG abnormalities and artifacts.
f. Determines the need for accessory equipment/medications to maintain a high level of patient care and comfort, ie. oxygen therapy, Ncpap.
g. Verify Cpap tx pressure, educate patient on the use of Cpap explaining side effects and any contraindication. Set pressure on Cpap units intended for home use and discharge the patient with it and any necessary paperwork needed for f/u with the homecare provider.
h. Analyzes and process sleep studies staging sleep, tagging apneas, plms or other events. Prepares a report for the physician notating all pertinent information that will assist in the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders.
i. Assists in developing educational programs for staff and the public.
j. Assist in administering first aid or provide life support in emergent situations.
k. Assist in explaining test results to patients, educating them about their sleep disorder and a prescribed treatment that the physician has recommended. This will help avoid any delay in their further treatment of the sleep disorder. This is only as deemed necessary by the sleep physician.
4. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to Patient Education/ Communication.
. Verifies patient consent; verifies written consent has been obtained which is noted on patient registration form.
a. Provides accurate explanations and instructions at an appropriate time and place at a level of understanding necessary.
b. Refers questions about diagnosis or treatment to patient's physician.
5. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to Action Plan.
. Conducts patient testing utilizing established protocols and guidelines.
a. Utilizes patient cooperation to assist in carrying out action plan.
b. Modifies action plan to study the patient per changes in clinical situations.
c. Assist in administering first aid or provide life support in emergent situations.
6. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to documentation.
. Documents diagnostic, treatment and patient data in the appropriate medical and departmental record.
a. Documentation must be timely, accurate, concise, and complete.
b. Documents any exceptions from established criteria or procedures.
c. Records diagnostic or treatment data using departmental approved forms.
7. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to environmental assessment
. Ensures that services are performed in a safe environment.
a. Informs supervisor with equipment problems and tags equipment with the appropriate form to shut down.
b. Assesses equipment to determine acceptable performance.
c. Ensures that protocol and procedure manuals include recommended criteria and are reviewed and revised on an annual basis.
d. Follows WDH guidelines to minimize exposure to collodion by utilizing negative pressure fan. Insures proper ventilation in work areas and patient rooms.
8. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to departmental communication.
. Practices open communication to elicit confidence and cooperation from the staff, patient, the public, and other health care providers.
a. Information is presented at the learner's level of understanding.
9. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to professional performance - Action Plans.
. Helps supervisor perform QA based on established protocols.
a. Helps evaluates quality assurance results and establish appropriate action plans.
10. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to quality documentation.
. Documents quality assurance activities and results.
a. Provides timely, concise, accurate, and complete documentation per department timeframes.
b. Provides documentation that adheres to current protocol, policy and procedures; including instrumentation QC
11. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to quality.
. Teamwork - Works well with others to elevate the quality of care.
a. Adheres to accepted standards, policies, and procedures adopted by the profession and regulated by law.
b. Provides the best possible diagnostic study for each patient by applying professional judgement and discretion.
12. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to Performance Standards - Self Assessment.
. Monitors personal work ethics, behaviors, and attitude.
a. Monitors and evaluates orientation guidelines.
b. Recommends improvement in orientation / work environment.
c. Evaluates own performance and recognizes opportunities for improvement.
d. Recognizes his or her strength and uses them to benefit patients, coworkers, and the profession.
e. Performs procedures "only" after receiving appropriate education and training.
f. Recognizes and takes advantage or opportunities for educational growth.
g. Recognizes and takes advantage of opportunities for improvement in technical and problem solving skills.
h. Actively participates in professional organizations.
i. Demonstrates and documents external community involvement.
j. Maintains strong relationships with peers, staff, physicians, agencies and other organizations consistent with hospital strategic plan.
13. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to Ethics.
. Technologist provides health care services with respect for dignity and age specific needs.
a. Technologists respects the patients right to privacy and confidentiality.
b. Adheres to established standards of the profession.
14. Demonstrates competence in the performance of duties and responsibilities related to customer service / department protocols, and professional knowledge.
. Proactive mentoring and orientation with new staff members.
a. Actively pursues improving customer service via customer service surveys.
b. Investigates new, innovative methods and applies them in practice.
c. Share information with peers, and colleagues through publication, presentation, and department meetings.
d. Offers self to other areas during lull periods.
e. Keeps patient wait times to a minimum by collaborating with clerical staff and office manager.
Experience Minimum Required
• Three years' experience in Neurodiagnostics with additional experience in neonatal and pediatric EEG and EP testing.
• Two years of intraoperative EEG and Evoked Potential monitoring where the data is analyzed by the technologist and accurate results given to the physician so any corrective action may be taken.
• At least two years' clinical experience in recording and scoring sleep studies.
• Greater than five years of intraoperative EEG and Evoked Potential monitoring where data is analyzed by the technologist results given to the physician so any corrective actions may be taken.
• Greater than five years of clinical experience in a sleep disorder's center recording and scoring sleep studies.
Education Minimum Required
• REEGT or RPSGT with completion of accredited course in EEG technology.
• REEGT. WITH A SECONDARY RPSGTOR REPT.
• A Course in intraoperative EEG and Evoked Potential monitoring.
• Completed certification course in Polysomnography.
Special Skills Minimum Required
• CPR within 3 months
Licensure and/or Certifications Required
• CPR, REEGT
Licensure and/or Certifications Preferred/Desired
• CPR within 3 MOS , REEGT, RPSGT
Apply on company website