Senior Tax Analyst is the primary person responsible for the efficient operation of the Company's global indirect tax functions (Canada and US) and will report to the Director of Tax. This is a newly identified opportunity within the Company and this role will have the ability to help define how to best execute the duties and responsibilities, with an eye towards compliance and cash tax mitigation. The individual in this role must be self-motivated, a strong communicator, and able to work independent of direct supervision. This position requires a process-minded professional who has experience working with transactional data, as well as excellent interpersonal skills, project coordination expertise, and the ability to partner successfully with multiple stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for global indirect taxes (i.e. sales and use taxes, goods and services taxes, provincial sales taxes, property taxes, resource production taxes, etc.).
- Review related monthly, quarterly and annual return filings, as needed.
- Conduct research utilizing tools such as Bloomberg BNA.
- Reconciliation of all indirect tax G/L accounts on a monthly basis and preparation of associated journal entries.
- Develop, document and coordinate indirect tax compliance process improvements across the organization, includes managing any relevant reverse audit engagements with third party service providers.
- Respond to all tax notices and handle all related correspondence with taxing jurisdictions.
- Assist with sales tax audits and other indirect tax controversy items that arise.
- Support the tax department in other areas, as needed.
- Support Westmoreland's established corporate business practices, policies, internal controls, and procedures designed to create value or minimize risk.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Tax or a related field
- Minimum 5 years of indirect tax work experience, preferably in either public accounting or within an organization operating in multiple jurisdictions
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities
- Canadian indirect taxes experience a plus, but not required
- Mining experience a plus, but not required
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite, including strong Excel skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organization skills
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Self-starter and resourceful attitude with minimal instruction needed to get things done – ability to take a new project and run with it
Apply on company website