Every day, shoppers discover the unexpected at Zulily. New and unique finds at prices they can brag about. For themselves, their families and their homes. Zulily Creative is the in-house creative org dedicated to crafting compelling brand stories for moms around the world. Whether through copy, design, marketing or brand work, we are the driving force behind delivering Zulily's dynamic story to shoppers everywhere.
Our mission is to deliver joy on a daily basis, surprising and delighting our customers through new products and experiences. Zulily Creative comprises the best and brightest talent to execute market-leading creative strategy, writing, design, video production, operations, digital, social media and more. We leverage smart and rewarding external partnerships while closely aligning with our internal teams. Together, we tackle every creative challenge with our amplified strengths, delivering a fun shopping experience with great products at unbeatable prices.
Job Description Details
We are looking for a Senior Art Director, who will lead and develop visually compelling work for Zulily's retail experiences across channels.
- You will partner with key stakeholders across the company— from Merchandising and Marketing, to Tech— to develop campaigns for the site, emails, and social to drive customer engagement.
- You will lead and contribute to each phase of the design process: research, brainstorm, concept sketches, mood boards and rationale write-ups, storyboards, wireframes and user-flows, design layout, photo art direction, and more.
- Leads the development of seasonal and category style guides, campaigns, design templates, standards, and programs with brand consistency, an impeccable attention to detail, and innovation in mind.
- Manage and develop a small team of designers and mentor other creatives (copywriters, photographers, stylists).
- You are a highly creative, problem solver with a customer-centric mindset and a passion for great design.
- To thrive in this fast-paced environment, you must be an organized, driven, self-starter with great communication skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates visual storytelling through graphic design (typography, composition, layout), illustration, and animation for digital, print, and experiential mediums.
- Mentors designers and copywriters to determine content hierarchy and tone.
- Fosters collaboration between creative leaders (Design, Copy, Photo) and a variety of business stakeholders (e.g. Merchandising, Marketing, Tech, UX) to suggest and implement effective, scalable design solutions to business problems, team-wide.
- With the PM team, defines scope and supports day-to-day workload based on bandwidth, business needs, and career development goals for your team. Removes roadblocks and prioritizes for team when needed.
- Communicates multiple projects and/or design program status with Sr. Management on a regular basis and seeks clarification when there is ambiguity.
- Thoughtfully communicates, presents, and gains buy-in on conceptual ideas, design rationale and design details verbally and in writing to key stakeholders and the executive leadership team.
- Exercises the highest customer-centric judgment in their day-to-day creative decisions and feedback to team members and partner/stakeholder engagement.
- Identifies testing and learning opportunities across team, implementing in partnership with PMs and Tech. Leverages data to make creative decisions and drives design improvements (i.e. style guides and design templates) to increase customer engagement.
- 10+ years of design experience in an agency or in-house team.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design or equivalent.
- 1+ years of experience directly managing others, or comparable leadership experience.
- An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating online retail and/or marketing programs and user-centered design solutions.
- Advanced Adobe Creative Suite skills, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and ability to evaluate future tools for team productivity.
- Advanced expertise with typography, layout and color choice, and a demonstrated ability to coach and develop others to resolve challenging design problems.
- Understands accessibility standards and how they impact different types of customer experiences.
- Thorough understanding of current web technologies and trends as well as experience with mobile, apps and responsive design.
- Excellent communication, written, presentation, and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while staying calm under pressure.
- A high level of self-awareness of strengths/opportunities and ownership of own personal development.
- Shows mastery in resolving conflicts on behalf of the customer, and leading others in the face of ambiguity.
The ideal candidate will have an expert understanding of the trends in retail and digital marketing, plus:
- Experience in photo art direction, video/motion design, and/or illustration.
- A passion for women-focused editorial content and e-commerce, as well as general advertising/marketing/design and trends in the creative world.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, and other coding languages.
About Zulily, LLC
Zulily, LLC, is a retailer obsessed with bringing its customers special finds every day—all at incredible prices. zulily features an always-fresh curated collection for the whole family, including clothing, home decor, toys, gifts and more. Unique products from up-and-coming brands are featured alongside favorites
from top brands, giving customers something new to discover each morning. zulily was launched in 2010 and is headquartered in Seattle with offices in Nevada, Ohio and Pennsylvania. For more information visit www.zulily.com. zulily, LLC, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, RTEB), which includes QVC, HSN, Zulily and the Cornerstone brands (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”), as well as other minority investments. Qurate Retail Group believes in a third way to shop -- beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores -- and is #1 in video commerce, #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer). For more information, visit www.qurateretailgroup.com.
As an equal opportunity employer, Qurate Retail Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is also committed to a barrier-free employment process. In order to ensure reasonable accommodations for individuals pursuant to applicable law, individuals that require accommodation in the job application process for a posted position may contact us at CareersUS@QVC.com for assistance.
Click Apply and log in with your existing account or create an account. This will allow you to check the status of your application at any time and receive the most up to date communications from our Talent Acquisition team.
Apply on company website