Job Description Details
Are you serious about software and tackling the big data problem? We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer in Data Platform Services to build a core set of our high-demand data services to form a service-oriented infrastructure to meet the company's growth trajectories in both data volume and analytic needs. You will be working closely with our leadership team and technical teams to understand business and technical requirements, and leave your mark in formulating the solutions using the newest technologies. These solutions shall be robust, reusable, and highly scalable, and as a critical part of our analytics backbone shall be used to drive business decisions for both internal clients and external partners. Your team deploys production code rapidly to keep pace with Zulily's changing business, you are mindful of avoiding technical debt, and you take ownership of your team's roadmap and everything you do. As a Data Engineer you will own all phases of development lifecycle from gathering business requirements, design and modeling, development, deployment, and support.
Responsibilities:· Work with stakeholders to understand their information needs and translate these into business functional and technical requirements and solutions. · You will have significant influence over the vision, features and design of zulily's data platform and services. · You will be responsible for choosing tools, languages, building the platform, methodology for building data services and datasets.
· Design and develop the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and GCP ‘big data' technologies.
· You will develop a set of standard, guidelines, best practices and documentation for your fellow engineers.
· Analyze complex data systems and document data elements, data flow, relationships and dependencies to contribute to conceptual, logical and physical data models.
· Design, build and deploy efficient & reliable data pipelines to assemble large, complex datasets that meet business requirements.
· Ensure data quality and data governance, create/maintain data dictionary and related metadata.
· Collaborate in the planning, design, development, test, and deployment of new BI solutions.
· Provide production support for new and existing BI solutions. Handle data-related technical issues and support our internal customers with their data infrastructure needs.
· Disseminate knowledge across the team.
Qualifications:· Ability to understand and effectively communicate at both a business and technical level.
· 4+ years experience in database development, reporting, and analytics with an advanced working SQL knowledge. Experience and ability to demonstrate proficiency in writing moderate to complex SQL queries ( e.g. Hive, RDBMS, SparkQL. etc.)
· 4+ years experience in object oriented/functional programming languages in Java or Python
· Experience and working knowledge in “big-data” technologies particularly systems like Hive, BigQuery, Redshift, Spark, etc. Building and optimizing 'big data' data pipelines, architectures and datasets.
· Experience in designing and deploying production supported dimensional models, star schemas, and/or data marts.
· Professional history working in a Unix environment with scripting languages like bash.
· Hands on experience and strong proficiency with either Scala, Python, or Java and strong CS fundamentals (Algorithms, Data Structures, Binary Trees)
· Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Airflow, Composer, DataFlow, etc.
· Experience with stream-processing systems: Spark Streaming, Kinesis, Kafka, SQS, etc.
· Experience with distributed computing like Kubernetes.
· Working knowledge of challenges and various solutions in handling large data volume, whether in terms of complex SQL queries and stored procedures, or brute-force caching, or paradigms of parallel processing.
· Able to find creative solutions and move quickly to deliver them.
· Strong ability to collaborate with team members throughout the process and consult with other project teams on the design and use of enterprise data.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills and a desire to educate co-workers and business users about our data and how to access it.
Preferred Qualifications:· Cloud technologies experience/knowledge is a plus (GCP, AWS, Azure) · Thrives in a fast-paced, evolving, growing and dynamic environment. · Ability to work with and influence others. · Can think system-wide and translate business requirements into code. Proficient analytical skills with a data driven approach and ability to measure impact of project. · Willingness to explore new ideas and have a passion to make them happen. · Embrace an environment that supports innovation and process improvement.
· Bachelor's Degree required in CS, Information Technology or Engineering related field. Master's Degree preferred. 4+ years experience in development, programming or architecture.
About Zulily, LLC
Zulily, LLC, is a retailer obsessed with bringing its customers special finds every day—all at incredible prices. zulily features an always-fresh curated collection for the whole family, including clothing, home decor, toys, gifts and more. Unique products from up-and-coming brands are featured alongside favorites
from top brands, giving customers something new to discover each morning. zulily was launched in 2010 and is headquartered in Seattle with offices in Nevada, Ohio and Pennsylvania. For more information visit www.zulily.com. zulily, LLC, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, RTEB), which includes QVC, HSN, Zulily and the Cornerstone brands (collectively, “Qurate Retail Group”), as well as other minority investments. Qurate Retail Group believes in a third way to shop -- beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores -- and is #1 in video commerce, #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer). For more information, visit www.qurateretailgroup.com.
As an equal opportunity employer, Qurate Retail Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is also committed to a barrier-free employment process. In order to ensure reasonable accommodations for individuals pursuant to applicable law, individuals that require accommodation in the job application process for a posted position may contact us at CareersUS@QVC.com for assistance.
Click Apply and log in with your existing account or create an account. This will allow you to check the status of your application at any time and receive the most up to date communications from our Talent Acquisition team.
Apply on company website